Clutch engagement problem!!!

bbird94

Hey guys,

I believe this is a problem with the master cylinder but I am posting for re-assurance. What is happening is that the car is just a liitle harder to shift into gear. Sometimes when I am at a stoplight and have it in 1st gear and the clutch is in the car still creeps forward just a little. Its nothing like it has an AOD, but it is still noticable. Also at a stoplight and I have it in nuetral, then when I am ready to take off the car will not go into any gear and I have to hammer on it to finally go in. Any ideas guys?

Also when I change out the master cylinder will I pull it out through the inside of the car or through the engine bay? That is going to be one tight fit!!
Thanks for any help guys and have a good one!!

See Ya,
Brandon

Do a search on clutch master cylinder. I had to pull the wiper motor assembly out of my car to make the change. Have you checked your slave cylinder to make sure it is not leaking?

Ah yes, the never ending shifting problem.
I have gone through hell in my car with the same problems that you have and have come to one conclusion, this car sucks
Hows the clutch in that car?
First thing I would do is change the slave, and depending on your money/time ratio, either put a new one in without replacing the clutch or replace the clutch at the same time.
If you do replace the clutch, make sure you get the flywheel resurfaced and shim the slave forward.
Good Luck

First thing I would do is change the slave, and depending on your money/time ratio, either put a new one in without replacing the clutch or replace the clutch at the same time.
If you go to the trouble of dropping the tranny to replace the slave cylinder, GO AHEAD and change the clutch. I would have the driveshaft rebuilted and balance since it will be removed to drop the tranny.

I would knock out FOUR birds with one stone, replace the clutch $200, slave cylinder $100, resurface the flywheel (be careful not to have to much removed, or you will need to shim it out to grab again $20), and rebuilt/balance the driveshaft (local drivetrain shop $60).

If you have money issues, save your loot and do all of those things at one time......you will thank me later!

[edit]I would suggest changing out the rear MAIN Seal since it will be right there anyways[/edit]

Last edited:
i put a clutch in mine a while back and didnt shim the slave. it wont shift into gear either. ive been told that the clutch system is tricky to bleed. someone on here mentioned putting a vacumn on the resevour to remove the air, i havnt done it but it makes perfect sense. the same way a cooling system is burped. this may not help your problem today but cuold come in handy after all the work is done and it still wont shift. i have a high milage car and have had to weld up the hole where the cluth pedal arm meets the master cylinder and redrill it because it was oval shaped from wear. i think if its creeping from the time you push the pedal and dosent bleed off and start creeping ,masters good look somewhere else.

Back