Need another upper shifter

1QuikV6

Somehow about two months ago I managed to break the tack welds on the upper part of the shifter (above the two bolts). Someone suggested using the upper from a 5 speed Mustang. Do the bolts line up? And if so, what year should I look for?

I found a shifter from a Saleen Mustang in a junk yard. It's longer and bent backwards, so now, 5th gear isn't so darn far away. Looks a little goofy, but it's much more comfortable to use. Also, I didn't use the extra piece that's metal and rubber (where the two bolt holes line up). It made the shifter seem softer and a little sloppier. The bolts lined right up, so I guess it was worth the 8 bucks. btw, you'll have to push the boot down further on the shifter, otherwise, you'll rip the boot out of the upper console on your first shift. I'll post a pic soon, I don't have my camera here at the moment.

I don't know the year, it wasn't too old. but boy was it messed up.

Last edited:
It would be such a pain to weld since its down in the shifter. its on the inside of a cylindrical cup that fits atop the lower half. Trust me, it would be a royal pain to re-weld and would be cheaper to just get another from a Stang.

Well, I ripped my off intentionally to get a shorter throw. I just went and got one of those autozone shift handles and wedged it on there. Never had a problem with it comming off, just had to pay attention when it started to come loose and tighten it back up. I also did ALOT of racing with it and never had a problem either.

Back