running rough

Travs91sc

I have a 91 sc it started running rough yesterday. I shut it off and it ran fine untell I stopped and put it in park left it running got back in put it in reverse and it started running rough again. I replaced the plug wires thinking that was the problem it ran fine for about a minute then started running rough again need help if any one knows what is wrong.

chech this

do a serch with rough idle, tps, idle air control, iac, motor mounts, check the trottle body for any built ups. i had the same problem when the idle air control was going bad also check the tps too. this two sensors are easy to change but the motor mounts are a little more complicated. make sure you get ford replacement sensors, this cars are known to only be compatible with original parts. hope this help. let us know what happens.

tech ideas

hey there,
if check engine light comes on when running rough, check this:
you said you had changed plug wires then it ran well for a minute, the problem is in your ignition. Just mentioned some advice to another member as to checking the crankshaft damper and clearance on crank position sensor (PIP) if either are out of sync, timing may be delayed or prefired, depending where the problem is. Just redid the engine on my stock '90 (right then the motor mounts were easy). Recently had crank damper problems, now it's somewhere in the coil, but at least it's running quite well now.
They're right, only parts from FORD, matched to the car, or your on board computer will not read the right pickup signals, then it's back to square one.

Back