computer chip mod

ben04

who has this done? jet chip, hypertech, specify which and let us know how it was. i've heard mixed reviews here n there. is it worth the 250 bucks?

ben04 said:
who has this done? jet chip, hypertech, specify which and let us know how it was. i've heard mixed reviews here n there. is it worth the 250 bucks?
Jet sucks, Hypertech sucks just as bad. There are 2 effective options. Diablo or SCT. SCT is most popular. Talk to Lonnie@BlueOvalChips He won't steer you wrong.
Alan

chips

seriously dont waste your money unless you get a dyno tune and you get the chip from someone that made a file on a exact combination every car is different. Also ask where the air fuel ratio will be. That is the most important thing i think thats why all these sc guys have tons of parts and run slow with stock ecu. You should shoot for around 11.5 or 11.8 no hire on air fuel ratio. As a superchips custom tuning dealer in pa i found how important it is on my mustang with blower. The sc is apart now i will be doing a chip. Also with pulleys on blowers you should be checking if maf is pegging they are only good for 5volts then they peg at that point spark goes up and fuel leans out. That is the sole reason why to change mass air meter. oneqkgt@aol.com My car with saleen twin screw would never run right with adding pulley throttle body and other things without tunning it. the throttle body alone made air fuel ratio go up almost a point to the lean side

twoblownfords said:
seriously dont waste your money unless you get a dyno tune and you get the chip from someone that made a file on a exact combination every car is different. Also ask where the air fuel ratio will be. That is the most important thing i think thats why all these sc guys have tons of parts and run slow with stock ecu. You should shoot for around 11.5 or 11.8 no hire on air fuel ratio. As a superchips custom tuning dealer in pa i found how important it is on my mustang with blower. The sc is apart now i will be doing a chip. Also with pulleys on blowers you should be checking if maf is pegging they are only good for 5volts then they peg at that point spark goes up and fuel leans out. That is the sole reason why to change mass air meter. oneqkgt@aol.com My car with saleen twin screw would never run right with adding pulley throttle body and other things without tunning it. the throttle body alone made air fuel ratio go up almost a point to the lean side

arg. hmmm never thought of any of that. always thought they'd come set up for the car with everything boosted or what not, direct bolt in plug and play. interesting

ben04 said:
arg. hmmm never thought of any of that. always thought they'd come set up for the car with everything boosted or what not, direct bolt in plug and play. interesting

SCT chips are the only ones that can be tuned to compensate for changes in your vehicle's operating parameters. The MAF meter and the readings from it are the heart of your EEC's ability to match the program on the chip, and their outputs are often skewed.

75% of all SC MAF meters and PARTICULARLY aftermarket MAF's read innaccurately. When you change injector sizes this difference becomes greatly accentuated, increasing the need for custom tuning.

I also have the SCT chip from Dave. I have made a lot of Mods to my SC. And have multiple programs for the chip. It is a must as far as I am concerned to make a a lot of Modifacations work as one. My low end power is poor right now and when I contacted Dave he explained how inaccurate the MFA is, esppecially at low RPMs where air flow is low. To really make the chip work it still needs to be dynoed to get it dead on. I think you find no one better able to answer questions than Dave as he one of the favorite tech guy on this club site

chips

all im saying is with adding mods there is no way you can really do without a good custome sct tune. These cars are no different then a lightning or 03-04 cobra when you start adding boost and other parts maf's peg and tunning is needed. When i get my 93sc back from Mr. bush in nj i will do baseline dyno pulls on my dyno with af ratios stock vs my sct chip that i will tune. my car dynoed stock already 190hp to the wheels and about 13.1 af which is no no good lol.

All I can tell you is that if you really want your car to run right get a chip tuned by xr7 Dave. I have one in my car and its the best! Big companies deal in bulk. Guys like Dave Are intrested in how your car runs. Also you will be able to change the tune as you make changes. Who else can you pick up the phone and talk to about what your car is doing after a Mod? I wouldnt let anyone else touch my car. And for a tyno tune a have an easy 400 mile ride to get it done. If you are in N.J. he is pretty close.

Just had to add my 2 cents on this thread . . . . .

I installed an SCP exhaust, complete with Kooks headers, and a 5% OD blower pulley to my "95 SC, then bought a chip from Brian Herron, while he was at Apten. That chip really woke my car up! Brian really does excellent work.

It has 145k on it now. Last year I had the transmission rebuilt and added Art Carr heavy duty rebuild kit, input shaft and 2" OD band. I have a 3.73 posi pumpkin and a new 76mm BBK throttle body and MAF which I'm installing next. After that I'll have Brian reflash the chip. I am hoping to rebuild the engine or buy a Ford reman, then have Stiegmeiester do my heads/cam and dyno tune, maybe at 200k.

Anyway, as cool as the new Mustang and GTO are, I'd just as soon keep my SC in good shape and save some money.

Don Klitzke
Prospect TN :D

I have a have about every mod on my Dr. Fred built SC motor, and with it's cam and everything else, it still ran better (But still like crap) without the Apten SCT chip than with it, even after two trips back to them for reburns. Not their fault, but I just don't believe that you can get an accurate tune by mail order, unless you just have a basic setup. The wilder your mods, the less likely you are to get an optimum tune.

I finally wised up and took the car to the local hot dyno guy, Danny Swanson. He gave me a conservative, pretty rich burn (Off the dyno, but on the computer) for my break in period for the motor. After a thousand miles, I went back and he dyno tuned the car & did a reburn. It runs like a Swiss watch now, and the HP went up by over a hundred HP after the final re-burn.

The SCT chip from Apten "Included" the reburns, but since I just couldn't get in tune long distance, in hindsight, I should have bought the chip from Swanson. I would have saved myself $150.00.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but if you live in an are where a goon dyno tuner is not an option you could always take your car over get it dynoed. Send the sheet with the air fuel info to dave and he should be able to set chip for you. Nobody has a crystal ball. I would think however that a tuner that has done a lot of modded S.C.s could take your info and at least get it running better. My car will barley run without the chip. Right now it only has one tune on it. When I get it redynoed this spring I will have Dave set it with two programs, one for the street and another for the track. The two setting chip is really a good idea.

ben04 said:
Just say no. You have been warned.

If you want a chip that works, as was mentioned above, SCT and Diablo are the only ones that work, and if you want the best results you need to get it from someone who supports and understands your SC. There about 4-5 such people in the US. You may contact one of them by clicking on the link in my sig. :)

right now i have a jet chip in mine, basically put that in when it was close to stock. the chip at that pt made the car alot better performance wise, but i know when i get more mods done i will have to have a custom chip made for it, or in other words i wasted a couple hundred dollars on the first chip. so think of it that way when you make your choice.

pbdevastator said:
right now i have a jet chip in mine, basically put that in when it was close to stock. the chip at that pt made the car alot better performance wise, but i know when i get more mods done i will have to have a custom chip made for it, or in other words i wasted a couple hundred dollars on the first chip. so think of it that way when you make your choice.

hmm yah, i guess if you get moderate modifications done it should be good. im gettin my flowmaster cat backs installed in a couple hours, gonna do CAI, maybe port the blower and a supercharger pulley, maybe under drive pulleys.

diablo eh? didn't know they made it for our cars. :confused:

Back