MAC CAI vs. ZR MOTORSPORT

ben04

i've heard mixed reviews between the two.
mac - + supercharger whine is increased
+ power increase
- bend at the MAF screws up air/fuel ratio

ZR - + less bends = no air/fuel ratio screw up

on the bluetonguemotorsports site it says the ZR is good for 3lbs of boost? this real?

anyway, post your reviews of either, it will help me and anybody else who is trying to make a decision :D

Pannel Filter

The stock pannel filter will flow more then enough air. A K&N pannel filter if you think you need it. The intake kits looks good, but from what I've read, for the money, they're too much for what they do. Does anybody have dyno info that would indicate the benifit of changing out the intake?

discipled1 said:
The stock pannel filter will flow more then enough air. A K&N pannel filter if you think you need it. The intake kits looks good, but from what I've read, for the money, they're too much for what they do. Does anybody have dyno info that would indicate the benifit of changing out the intake?

mac adn ZR motorsports both claim 15 HP :confused:

screw them both... i made my own... i will post up the pictures... the thing here is... in order for you not to screw anything up... the MAF has to go before any bends... and if u do make the intake turn down... u should leave atleast 6 inches between the filter and the MAF... so u wont confuse the MAF... thats what i did... saved me some dinero.. and whines... and makes other cars get on their knees...

I have the MAC, it look sgood, works ok. But for the cash I'd never buy an aftermarket intake agian. The ZR from what I have seen isn't made anymore, but another one is in the works. The MAC, I think is still availabe.

If doing that agian, I'd use the K&N panel filter, and buy a piece of tubing form an exhust shop, and have them bend it up form me. Then buy the silicone couplers and clamps. I'd say that would cost you about 200 bucks less than either one of the kits would. Most likely would give you the same results. The claim of 15 hp is fake, maybe 5hp, if that.

Ryan A Harris said:
I have the MAC, it look sgood, works ok. But for the cash I'd never buy an aftermarket intake agian. The ZR from what I have seen isn't made anymore, but another one is in the works. The MAC, I think is still availabe.

If doing that agian, I'd use the K&N panel filter, and buy a piece of tubing form an exhust shop, and have them bend it up form me. Then buy the silicone couplers and clamps. I'd say that would cost you about 200 bucks less than either one of the kits would. Most likely would give you the same results. The claim of 15 hp is fake, maybe 5hp, if that.

interesting. i think im still gonna go for the MAC listed at 170 US, around 220 CDN. i like to have "professionally" made products on my car, rather than home made stuff. not saying yours is ghetto, but i've seen home made CAIs on SCs before and it looks really cheap (probably cuz it is), just straight tiny pipe from the throttle body and a cone filter at the end. thanks for the .02 on the MAC though, ryan

ben04 said:
interesting. i think im still gonna go for the MAC listed at 170 US, around 220 CDN. i like to have "professionally" made products on my car, rather than home made stuff. not saying yours is ghetto, but i've seen home made CAIs on SCs before and it looks really cheap (probably cuz it is), just straight tiny pipe from the throttle body and a cone filter at the end. thanks for the .02 on the MAC though, ryan

How About a TBird88 "ghetto tube". He has those very reasonably priced and they look good too.

mines isnt ghetto... i mean i may have used FENCE POLE to make but it isnt ghetto... nah... it has 3 inch aluminum exhaust... which i painted a CAST IRON BLACk... and so does the BEND... looks like a AEM... maybe i should put AEM on it... also the silicone couplers are AEM... muahahahhahaah....

MP and SCP both sell cold air intakes, so MAC isn't your only choice. Between the MAC and the old ZR.

I liked the ZR better because it was easier to remove when working on the car and didn't have any problems with turbulence before the MAF. Then again, the MAC CIA did look better.

David

I'm using MAC cai, it's hard to tell about hp gain but the blower whines louder.That was my 2-nd mod on the car. I think it has to be worth some hp because when i put MAC cai and had some exh. job done ,[remove 3-rd cat and custom exh.] I run 14.4 ET with just these 2 mods

it's your choice and money :D :D

ahhh i believe this is back to the old question of money....... the MAC intake costs more and does the same job as something u can make at home... i sure *** hell dont like chrome or polish... i think its a lil too outdated... but anywho... my home made intake does blow alot louder also... and it only cost me around 50 bucks..

70 degree 3 inch aluminum bend... 20 bucks
18 inch 3 inch aluminum tube... 20 bucks
3.5" CONE FILTER k&N style...10 bucks
4 AEM silicone couples.... FREE!

looks pretty kool... then again... the thing here is... COLD AIR INTAKES dont really work on a FORCE INDUCTED car like ours... because the SC will stomp out the so called COLD AIR and heat it up again... its been discussed... and the finaly on that discussion was that its mostly for looks and blower noise... not any real HP gains...

yeah that really wont help... because the MAF is behind the bend and will therefore screw up the intake reading... i would suggest u put the MAF before the bend in any occcasion...

That ebay one, I have something like that. Which I bought from ebay as well about a year and a half ago. Except right where it comes close to the a/c compressor mounting bolt, it pretty much touches. I think the tolerances on that weren't really looked into. I have a nice hole in mine induced from the bolt rubbing under motor vibrations. Little duct tape never hurt anyone! :p
Its a good cheap way to get what you need though. You pay for what you get.

same thing man... the bends will screw up the MAF reading... i wouldnt waste my time on this things... just make ur own... comes out better and saves u alot of money... just paint that SOB a really nice color and dont cheap out on the couplers...

hmmmm a lot of people say that the bend before the MAF is no good, but dont u think MAC would have thought of that or something? i dunno, i like the look of hte MAC and the ZR.....it'll come down to those two, or the new ZR i meant cuz the old one is discontinued i hear.

I've got the short intake with the K&N in the engine compartment. I've got the stuff to elbow down and put the filter in the fenderwell. Will this have any affect on performnce, other than maybe taking in cooler air? If I put the maf before the bend, will that work too?

Back