My car isn't running right

x182dan

first off its a 1994SC, it idles kinda funny until the car warms up, it bounces up and down. If I let it run for a while at idle it will just shut off, also sometimes I will have to crank it a while before the car starts but only when the car is hot. Does this sound like the IAC?not getting enough gas?or just needs a good tune-up?

Have you had the battery disconnected lately? Clean the MAF sensor, check/replace air filter, check for vacuum leaks, and do an idle relearn proceedure. If your engine mounts are bad, it will magnify the vibration of a poor idle. You may need to change the plugs, but try these things first. Oh, also, if your oil is pretty old, you should change it as well. If still having poor idle, make sure your torque converter (automatics), is not locked up all the time.

I have not disconnected the battery lately and it drives fine still gets good boost and everything so I assuming I don't have any vac leaks

MIKE 38sc said:
Vac leak! You do know what happens when you assume dont you?

I always assumed with a vac leak I would notice a lose in boost, but come to think of it I have noticed a slightly different noise coming from my engine when lightly pressing on the gas

Set the output on an air compressor so that it has a small leak and watch the tank pressure gauge. The tank pressure will not drop noticeably for a long time. Same principle here. You would have to have a very large leak to notice any gauge reading difference in boost. Never assume anything and especialy with an SC.

I am going to clean the MAF first and then if that doesn't work I'll check for the boost leaks because its gonna be a pain in the *** to find the leaks

UPDATE:

I cleaned my maf and that seems fine, I unplugged the IAC and the car stalled right away so that must be good. I assume that it doesn't have a vac leak because the idle is not high, its normal just boggs down a little. The car also will shut off on its own if I leave it idling for a few minutes, it won't even bogg down it will just shut off.

x182dan said:
UPDATE:

I cleaned my maf and that seems fine, I unplugged the IAC and the car stalled right away so that must be good. I assume that it doesn't have a vac leak because the idle is not high, its normal just boggs down a little. The car also will shut off on its own if I leave it idling for a few minutes, it won't even bogg down it will just shut off.

All this and now the key too? :( Have you checked fuel pressure?

Try taking the chip out that made it start doing it in the first place:O)

Some new plugs might do you wonders as well...Being ya never changed em

Back