Tornado's for air intake

LostDreamer

so i went to pepboys today and got a tornado for my air intake just to see what it does. does anyone else use these or have you ever used these?

Well if you put it in front of the mass air it will comfuse the signal most likley with the extra turbulance. It really wont do anything good at all. It justanother gimick, sound good and its junk. Kind of like the electric supercharger some body was stlling on e-bay. If I remember it was really a bilge blower for a boat.

Here's my new "Tornado"..... :p

IMG_0101.jpg

Think about it, what happens to the Tornado's swirl when the air goes thru the blower and intercooler? Maybe if it was at the entrance to the lower intake it's supposed benefits might could be felt. A company called Street Performance Electronics makes a throttle body spacer that is threaded on the inside to give it this same alledged effect. ??????

A phenolic spacer. I hear those actually do add horsepower, they also make a barrier from the TB to the plenum for heat to dissipate through and not get into the TB. I see them used on carbed setups sometimes. MarksM :eek:

The AR have been known to spray oil out the front snout seal on 03-04 Cobras running high boost. I had one on my stang at 13psi and never had a problem however...

Mu AR has a goldcoatinmg on the rotors. As a matter of fact all my AR had that coating..Have they changed it or is it just the picture?

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
The AR have been known to spray oil out the front snout seal on 03-04 Cobras running high boost. I had one on my stang at 13psi and never had a problem however...

Mu AR has a goldcoatinmg on the rotors. As a matter of fact all my AR had that coating..Have they changed it or is it just the picture?

On these cars, since 15psi is easily attainable with an Eaton, it only makes sense to up the ante a little. This kit is designed to run at a minimum of 18psi and as high as 21psi. Then factor in the typically innefficient IC system tubing on these cars and outlet pressures can easily run 5psi higher than that.

As for the coating, many small things have changed over time on these blowers and more changes are coming. For the better, I might add. :D

XR7 Dave said:
On these cars, since 15psi is easily attainable with an Eaton, it only makes sense to up the ante a little. This kit is designed to run at a minimum of 18psi and as high as 21psi. Then factor in the typically innefficient IC system tubing on these cars and outlet pressures can easily run 5psi higher than that.

As for the coating, many small things have changed over time on these blowers and more changes are coming. For the better, I might add. :D

Thats some pretty cool stuff you have done there Dave. I really look foward to owning one of these blowers someday. Maybe someone could take me for a ride in theirs just for old times sake?

Shane

All you unbeleivers

I hate to charm in here and bring this thread back to its title, but regarding them tornado's.....

On a supercharged vehicle, a tornado is a waste of money. On a naturally aspirated vehicle, they help. I've installed them in 3 different cars, and great results have shown.

1. 01 mustang gt. Car was 5spd, and with march ram air, tornado, k&n panel, flowmasters and deleted cats, car went 13.7 at the track. It regularly beat all other stangs with equal mods.

2. 90 accord. grandpa's car. He accidently squealed the tires when leaving the house after installation. The car is an auto with 130,000+ miles at the time.

3. my 88 civic. Basic mods, exhaust, header, cam gear, intake, and when the tornado was added, the throttle response was smoothed, and car was more jumpy off the line.

So, with all that said, they get my vote. If they didn't help, they wouldn't sell. Especially with major auto parts stores carrying them, they would lose money horribly if they were a scam. I personally wondered if putting one in the top of the return plenum after the IC would yeild any good results.

Now as for scams, they got that thing that goes on the fuel lines that de-magnetizes and seperates the fuel atoms resulting in a cleaner burn. These yellow or black clamp on boxes sound like a scam and a half. But don't be a skeptic and let me sway your opinion, try em out and let me know.

Back