Anti-Sieze and SC raised top

pablon2

I'm putting the raised SC top on today and wanna get it right the first time. Should I put anti-sieze compound on the bolts? (and also on the intake plenum to SC bolts too?) Or is this not necessary? Also, is the torque setting about 18-20 ft-lbs for these bolts? The manual doesn't say what the SC's top bolts' torque setting is b/c the SC is considered "non-serviceable".

Lastly, I have Allen (hex) style bolts I am using. These aren't compatible with my torque wrench. Should I just give the bolts a good "wreching" and hope to come close to the torque "window"? How do people accurately torque hex bolts anyhow? Is there some adapter or what? I'd think not b/c every hex wrench is a different diameter.

pablon2 said:
I'm putting the raised SC top on today and wanna get it right the first time. Should I put anti-sieze compound on the bolts? (and also on the intake plenum to SC bolts too?) Or is this not necessary? Also, is the torque setting about 18-20 ft-lbs for these bolts? The manual doesn't say what the SC's top bolts' torque setting is b/c the SC is considered "non-serviceable".

Lastly, I have Allen (hex) style bolts I am using. These aren't compatible with my torque wrench. Should I just give the bolts a good "wreching" and hope to come close to the torque "window"? How do people accurately torque hex bolts anyhow? Is there some adapter or what? I'd think not b/c every hex wrench is a different diameter.

Well there is adapters for hex bolts, I used them in MMI (Motorcycle and Marine Mechanics Institute). But those rich bastards have every tool under the sun lol.

You can buy hex bit sockets at most tool or auto parts stores.
They come in SAE OR METIC.1/4'' ,3/8,1/2 drives.

I all ways use anti-sieze on any steel bolt,
that is threaded into aluminum.

Randy

Torque spec is 10-11 ft lbs. on EVERY bolt on the blower. Same goes for the intake plenums blower and rear lower.

Anti-Seize = YES

Always use anti-seize on Stainless Steel bolts, screwed into aluminum.

We found this out the hard way in the Air Force. With no anti-seize, the SS will gaul (sp?) the alum. We had metalurgists cut the alum. open to get the SS bolts out. When the SS was looked at under a microscope, the overstressed SS had tiny barbs ripped open, that prevented the bolts from EVER coming loose. Don't know how the anti-seize stuff works, but it prevented the problem from reoccuring.

68COUGAR

Back