ABS / Brake Problem

93scto

Hello folks l am new to this board though i have been reading here for awhile, great informational help..
My problem is quite simple to explain, my brakes working great one day as i went for a drive, i then saw the antilock-brake lights come on all of a sudden, brakes still worked fine. Went home and shut car off for awhile. l went out to put gas in the car to notice that the antilock and brake lights were on after the ignition was on for about a minute, i proceeded to back out of my drive way and noticed that the brake pedal was completly hard.
Figured that the fluid may have been down, looked a it was fine, also checked the relay and fuses they were fine as well.

The lights stay on all the time with the ignition on, and i don't hear the pump at all. Some say it maybe the accumulator?

If it were your accumulator, the pump would run constantly trying to pressurize it, that is until the safety feature kicks in after 20 minutes and stops the pump for about 10 minutes to cool down. Sounds like the pump relay may be shot. I can't remember the exact location, but its on the firewall and I'm sure someone can tell you exactly where it is.

hmmmm hehe

That's funny just happen that the first reply to my post is a native of Burlington, ON :)

Thanks for the info much appriciated...

Whereabouts in Burlington? I'm up just off Guelph Line. What color is your Bird, possibly I have seen you.

ttt

i am off walkers line, my bird is dark blue, only one with fire fighter stickers on the back window

I think I saw you once driving North on Walkers and I was turning onto Walkers from Mainway going South. Mines red with a smashed front end and a nicely dented driver side door (damn hit and runners). It'll be going in to get the body fixed through insurance in the next couple of weeks. Also getting it painted shortly after that.

good body shoppe

l know a great body shoppe, good friend of mine he does custom paint for cars bikes circle track cars, everything under the sun..

xtreme kustoms
ask for rene tell him rob sent you..

Sup folks,

I have a 1989sc and i apparently have the same problem. I was wondering if you happened to figure out what the problem was and managed to get it fixed? if so could you help me? I'm not from canada or anything, but i am a fellow SC owner ;)

My ABS light has been on since i've owned the car but the brakes always stopped just fine. Untill about 3 months ago when i was on the free way and the peddal got really hard and the brakes lost power assist. Scared the ever living piss out of me. Occasionaly i'll regain power assist for a few seconds, but it goes right back to being really stiff and poor power.

When i turn the car off i can hear the ABS unit tryign to do soemthing, so i figured my Accumulator or something was broken with the unit, so i replaced it. but it still has the same problem.

OK, so you replaced the accumulator and determined that that is not the problem. Turn the key to the on position but do not start it, just until all the dash lights come on. Get out and listen for the ABS pump to start running. If its not running than most likely its the ABS relay located on the firewall somewhere, not sure of exact location but a repair manual will probably help you locate it.

If it is running than I suggest taking it to your mechanic and have him run a code scanner on the ABS system. The harness that you plug the code scanner into is located in the trunk, on the passenger side quarter panel near the brake lights. Just pull the carpet back and you should see a red wire harness. Well, its red on mine not sure if it will be the same color on yours, but you can't miss it.

Let us know how it goes.

abs relay location

Well from my manual for my 90sc it says that there are 3 relays on the firewall just behind the passanger side shock tower and under the hood support. The relays from the fender to the engine are A/C wot cutout, Hydraulic pump motor relay and then the ABS relay is closest to the engine. I just checked under the hood of my car and and I only have 2 of the relays but there is space for 3. The relays in my car are both black and the one you are looking for appears to have a grey base. Hope this helps.

ABS Relay

Actually the relay that controls the ABS unit (hydraulic pump) is the "Brown Pump Relay". The other relay (grey and black)controls the ABS/Brake warning indicators on the instrument panel. The aftermarket replacement is made by GP Sorensen part #MR120, available at most parts stores for around 15 bucks......

Back