Running slow at the strip

IowaSc

I wen to the drag stip on saterday and my fastest time was 16.45 at 84 mph, and I thought that was a little slow for begging a stock Sc am i right or wrong there

My '90 5-spd is basically stock, save for a cold air intake kit.

A couple of weekends ago I ran the car for the first time at St. Thomas. I did nothing special. I was running my street tires (Michelin Xones in stock size) at full pressure. The best I could muster was a 15.584s at 88.75mph. Now, this was the first time I ever ran a car down the quarter mile, so I'm sure I need to work on my technique!

Judging from the feedback I've been getting from my fellow SCCoO members, I don't think I did anything fantastic (as compared to what is expected of a stock Super Coupe), so I'm thinking that 16.45s at 84mph sounds pretty slow. ...No offense.

Respectfully yours,

Sean

What's the altitude in your area?
5spd or auto?

That could have sumthin' to do with it. At sea level I weighed my automatic at 3960 with me in it and wound up with a best of 15.56, not bad for a V6 pullin' 2 tons.
Only mods are one of my raised blower tops and a 7" K&N.

'bird

Well Im in iowa so not much different than sea level, but the tranny seems to go from 1st to 2nd but befor u get the rpms up it goes into 3rd, but also the mufflers on the rear were cut off and pipes ran out the back could that do something to my time Oh i have an auto

Wyn,

I've gotta get one of those tops off you, man! ...And now you've got yourself a milling machine too!

Cheers,

Sean

IowaSC,

What's your name? Have you ever come to any of the SCCoIowa meets? We just went to the track in Cedar Falls a week ago. We'll be going to Earlville again this fall sometime.

I would definitely say your problem is your shifting if it's as you describe it. If you're getting to 3rd gear before it's ready, then you're WAY down on power because you're in the wrong gear.

Are you sure your TV cable is adjusted properly?

Dale

Back