Need help!! Rear brake pads

Boss Hogg

Trying to install my rear brake pads. With the piston all the way seated back I still cannot get the caliper over the two new pads. I have plenty of clearance on the pad adjacent to the brake piston but the outer side of the caliper will not rotate down over the outer pad with the lower caliper pin bolt installed. Any hints? Only thing I can think of is that maybe my lower pin bolt is supposed to slide like the upper pin bold but doesn't because it is rusted or something. I've put rear brakes before on a 1996 Mustang and never had this problem. And yes....they are the correct pads. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You should be able to slide the caliper bracket in and out about 1/4-1/2" or so. If it won't move, then the pins are probably frozen. You can take them out, clean them up sand them down, regrease and that might fix it up. They sell a kit that has the replacement rubber boots. :)

Heat, penetrating fluid.

Worse case you may still be able to source replacement brackets from Ford along with new slide pins.

Mike8675309 said:
Heat, penetrating fluid.

Worse case you may still be able to source replacement brackets from Ford along with new slide pins.
Or contact Bleed_Ford_Blue very soon; We took some good calipers with working pins off a 90 rear IRS a couple of week ago. He may still have them sitting around, but won't for much longer. He moves his inventory. ;)

Thanks for the replies. I'll either get some junkyard brackets or order them from Carparts.

I messed up and took the spring off on the caliper (parking brake mechanism) while disassembling. Any tips on how to get it back on?

You'll need some narrow nose locking pliers to keep the spring compressed while you install it. Don't lever off that spring stud because it will break off. The stud looks like 1/4" but it's only 1/8" where it screws into the back of the caliper. Been there done that.

Back