parasitic draw??

NorthrnSCownr

I had my battery drain down for some unknown reason. It was charged back up, and when I left it alone for several days, it would drain down considerably(this happened a few times).
I then decided to charge it once again and unhook the neg cable while it sat. During 10 days of the coldest weather we have has yet, it sat this way until I got back to it....I hooked the neg cable back up, and had full power and it started on the first crank. I let it run until warm then shut it down as is my usual habit for the winter, and left the neg cable off until next time(today). Again it started the first time with no charging needed.
I used a volt ohms meter and the alternator is charging at 14.46-14.76
I shut the car down and it read 12.76 initially. 2-3 minutes later it was reading 12.71-a few minutes later it read 12.66 then down to 12.60 when I decided to unhook the cable and give up my efforts for the day.
So I hope that someone can offer any assistance on what I should be looking for that could be drawing the power. The hood light is unplugged, doors and trunk closed, inside lights off, etc.
Thanks for your time,
Tom

does the battery drain down with the positive cable unhooked from it? If so, the battery might have frozen over the cold winter and cracked internally. Other than that, hook your VOM up to the positive and negative with no battery in there, you should have a reading, but not infinity. Start pulling fuses. When the needle jumps, you've found the circuit that it causing your draw.

Back