Clutch problem?

PeteSC

I'm wondering if I need a new clutch. When I drive the car slow its fine, but if I try to accelerate fast then it seems like the engine revs up but the car doesnt go anywhere. I have to accelerate gradually. Does this sound like a blown clutch? Does anyone know how much it would cost to replace?

Thanks,

Pete

definitely sounds like clutch to me. A clutch from Ford will run you about $600 CAD (not sure if your from canada, so I don't know what that is in US dollars). Its a relatively simple job for a mechanic to do, no more than 3 hours. Make sure he checks the flywheel to see if it needs machining. Also, be sure to replace everything down there thats clutch related because Ford sells them all separately. Heres the list: Pressure Plate, Friction Disc, Throw-out Bearing. If I forgot anything, let me know.

I just had my clutch done because of extreme clutch chatter. It seems the previous owner liked to drop the clutch quite a bit. All the tension springs on the friction disc were loose, and in one spot, the disc was actually cracked where a spring was. She was about to fall apart, but there was plenty of friction material left.

Definently clutch. I just replaced mine back in May. It was $198 at autozone for the clutch assembly. Do not use the autozone throw out bearing that comes in the kit!!!! It's a piece of junk! Take that one back for a refund. Then purchase a new one from Ford. about $60. I did the job myself and it took about 8 hrs just cause it was my first time but could do it again in about 4. The hardest part I though was lowering the transmission properly and then re-attaching it to the block. The screws at the top are a Pain in the A$$, so are the manifold to exhaust nuts.

Thanks for the responses. Are there any aftermarket clutches I should go with instead of the stock one?

Yes, Centerforce is a good name and they have 3 different styles depending on how much you want to spend.

Centerforce 1: 30% more grip than stock
Centerforce 2: 60% more grip than stock
Centerforce Dual Friction: 90% more grip than stock

All the Centerforce's come as a complete kit (ie. pressure plate, friction disc, throw-out bearing) except for the Dual Friction, that one has to be bought all separately.

Don't you think he should put in a new rear main oil seal and slave cylinder while it's apart? Both these things tend to leak.

depends on how much he wants to spend. The slave cylinder doesn't come too cheap from ford -- and I think it may be a dealer part. The rear main is a good idea though because if it decides to leak after putting the new clutch in, consider that clutch toast if any oil gets on it.

seal is a good idea

i did my rear main seal when i took my tranny down and i got the throw out bearing from a local parts store worked great for $75 so i would just shop around and change it cuz if any oil gets on your clutch disc its toast also take a look at your pilot bearing my was in pieces good luck

I would look specifically for a transmission or driveline shop, not just any mechanic.

I would also recommend replacing the slave cylinder if the car has more than 80k miles on it.

If it later fails, the transmission has to come back out. Pay now, or pay later. This way you save the labor of transmission R&R.

Note that if the clutch is slipping that bad, you should also smell it. If you don't, I'd wonder...

Back