motor mounts ?

mlbuxbaum said:
how big of a pain is it to change the motor mounts? Thinking about upgarding to solid ones.
Easier than a transmission. ;)
If you've done this before, it can be done in a day, but I'd advise setting aside a weekend; allow a day for the driver's side and 1/2 day for the pass side. Must have tool is a 1/2" drive 13mm socket.. otherwise you will go snap a couple of 3/8" ones on the bolt which mounts the bottom bracket to the subframe. Also, its good to have extensions, a swivel, and breaker bar.
Here's a link to a thread; I also have an old writeup around somewhere.

Well, at least here's part of it from yours truely. ;)
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13022&highlight=engine+mount+how-to

Here's another more lengthy thread.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29205&highlight=engine+mount+replace

Have fun. :)

TbirdSCFan said:
Easier than a transmission. ;)...
Hope you are refering to R&R'ing the whole transmission and not just the tranny mounts as those are next... :(

Darth, I did mine and thought they'd be a big deal at first, but I could do them again in 1/4th the time now.. Here's a link of when I did mine... Somewhere in there I described exactly how to do them from the top, but others have done them from below...(I'm clostrophobic and don't like being under my car much)
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40646&highlight=motor+mounts
Any questions, just ask us..but found it good to read all you can before you begin.

Yes, I was referring to R&R of the transmission. It sounds like it was an adventure for mlbuxbaum. I can't imagine that the trans mount would be that difficult to do... but I'm sure some way some how, removal of the intercooler tubes is involved.. ;) ;) Seems like its a prerequisite for all work on the SC.. "i need to change wiper blades.. remove Intercooler tubes.. remove wiper blades, reinstall IC tubes.." ;)

mlbuxbaum said:
how big of a pain is it to change the motor mounts? Thinking about upgarding to solid ones.
I guess that the earlier models before 94' are different to change the motor mounts. Since you don't have any information on the year SC you have, I'll go ahead and tell you how I replaced the motor mounts on my 94" SC.

Removed negitive battery cable.
Jacked the front up about a foot and a half off the ground.
Jack stands.
Removed both front tires.
Unbolted front struts at their tops (3 bolts ea.)
Unbolted hold downs for brake lines to calipers, and popped out plastic peg from fender well, and from brake line behind fender well for slack.
Removed the bolts from both upper ball joints, and pulled apart.
Unbolted tie down bolts to power steering lines on sub frame.
Placed jack under sub frame.
Place another jack under oil pan with a 2X4 between jack and pan.
Jacked engine jack just to where the weight was on the jack.
Jacked sub frame jack up to meet with sub frame.
Used a 15mm, extension, swivel, extension, and wrench to remove long bolts from mounts.
Removed steering shaft to rack bolt and seperated apart.
Use a special socket (E18) from autozone to remove sub-frame to frame bolts (4 each side). The socket is for a 6 point torx? head. "Great Necks CR-V PN:2029A"
Lowered sub-frame.
unbolted mounts from engine.
Used solid mount incerts with original brackets as per MN12Performance's instructions.
Installed in reverse order.
Also did the trans and cross member mounts without having to remove exhaust or cross member.

Doing the mounts took about 5 hours (lots of breaks), and the trans and crossmember took about 2 hours (more breaks).

As mentioned in another post, be careful with the power steering lines and the o-rings at the power steering pump: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57598

I don't think I could have done it without using an air impact on everything, as my wrenching days are pretty much over. I don't think I left anything out, but if I did I apologize in advance.

discipled1 said:
Use a special socket (E18) from autozone to remove sub-frame to frame bolts (4 each side). The socket is for a 6 point torx? head. "Great Necks CR-V PN:2029A"
Hopefully they have sets of these things as I've got to replace a steering column bracket on my wife's Sienna and as I was looking it over, I noticed Toyota put 2 of those stupid reverse torx bolts, or whatever they're called, and I have nothing that will work on them other than a dremel tool ( :D ;) :D )
On that subject, the shifter bracket is what broke leaving my wife with no ability to change gears or even take the key out :eek: . When I got the part and went to replace it, found out that it wasn't any easier to work on than my SC. I thought it would be about a 1/2 hour to slap on the new bracket; ended up taking about 2.5 and that was leaving a lot of stuff off. I still have to pull the whole steering column later this wknd to fix it right :(

discipled1 said:
I don't think I could have done it without using an air impact on everything, as my wrenching days are pretty much over.
Seems like that's what all you air guys say. :rolleyes:

Back