Need alternator help quick!!!

No just the upper incooler tube and the coil pack. I forget what else but im sure you will figure it out.

scbird1 said:
No just the upper incooler tube and the coil pack. I forget what else but im sure you will figure it out.
Cool. I will give that a shot. It just got to cold and dark to mess with it outside tonight.

Some people are able to get the alt out without removing the upper tube. I think they loosen the accessor drive bracket (the big block of aluminum bolted to the engine block with the accesories on it.) and slide it forward with the alt still attached. That gains clearance to pull it out. But if you still have that support bracket from the water pump to the drive bracket it's not that easy.

Make sure you reseal that tube if you take it off. If you don't have www.texasthunderbirds.com reusable gaskets you can re-seal with Permatex High Temp Copper RTV.

rzibilske77 said:
:eek: ..what happened Jeremy????..your alternator go out on ya???

Yea the alt just puked. Battery light came on. I jumped it and there was no light. as soon as I took the cables off. The light came back. Tried to rev it and it died. Don't worry though. I will have it back up and running before this weekend. I want to be able to get out and do some running around in it before I give it up.

I used the blue rtv last time I had the IC out. Seems to work just fine.

you do NOT need to remove the IC tube or the bracket. I changed mine 3 or 4 times in 2 days before i realized the fusible link blew. i had to remove the tensioner pulley and the dis coilpack and that was it. it is a PITA to wiggle out of there though. i used a large screwdriver to carefully pry it. you won't be able to completely pull out the bottom bolt but you can pull it out enough to free the alternator (if you have an IC fan, you may not be able to pull it out far enough). The bottom bolt head needs to be touching the IC. Also you can toss the bolt that goes in the back of the alternator right into the bolt can. It is a useless PITA. it's a "parking lot of autozone job". :)

Last edited:
Early models must be different then? On my '94 I only removed the coil pack and was then able to gain access to the awkward bolt at the back.

I should point out that it was on my 1993 that I felt I had to remove the IC tube to get the Alt out. Prior to 1993, the engine in the SC engine bay is shifted to the passenger side a bit to allow for clearance of the ABS Brake assembly. This slight difference may allow some additional clearance that I just didn't see on my 1993.

It could also be I didn't try hard enough.

I had to remove the top intercooler tube....I didn't want to...but there was just not enough clearance to get the alternator out any other way.....Of course, I can only speak for a '95......and....there's almost NOTHING about working on this car that can be considered a "parking lot of AutoZone job"

David

Back