SC Techies, Need Help!

SCer Ted

My Car won't start and I don't have spark. I have since replaced the Crank Sencer and DIS Module but it still does not start. Before the car died, it would run good until I put on the gas past half throttle, then the RPM's would flutter and the car would stall but would start up again. The final straw that prevented it from starting again was when I floored it, it stalled and wouldn't start after that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Do you have spark? Do you have Fuel?

In the past I've heard of the harmonic balancer bolt breaking causing the problem. Since the Harmonic balancer works to give the reference signal to the crank sensor, the car acts like a bad crank sensor.

Ted
I know you just replaced the crank sensor, but if it wasn't adjusted correctly it would be toast as soon as you cranked the engine.

Do you get an up-shift light when cranking?

if yes - crank sensor.
if no - Check for spark
if you have spark, next is fuel

I'm not sure where the fuel pressure test port is, maybe some one else can chime in on that one.

I would say that your fuel filter is plugged or the pump is bad.
That's a big jump from the info you gave, but you did say you replaced the DIS and crank sensor.

Aaron

I thought the Cam Sencer is what needed adjusted, not the Crank Sensor. I do hear the pump engaging when I turn the key. The problem is that I don't have spark.

Did you check all of the fuses, ground straps, and battery cables??

The crank sensor 'adjustment' is just aligning it so that the vanes don't strike it. If the sensor is struck by the vane it could be damaged.

If you have verified the no-spark and that the up-shift light works and is not on during cranking, then look at the coil pack.

Higher cylinder pressures (WOT) need more energy to jump the gap. If the coil pack was going bad it could show itself as WOT problems. The stress of flooring it could have killed the already weak pack.

As Mike said, the same issues could be cause by a walking balancer. At WOT the SC places more load on the balancer causing it to flex and move if its bad. When you floored it, the balancer could have died from the sudden stress causing the no start.

If the balancer is the problem, the up-shift light will be on and a GOOD visual inspection of the balancer and balancer bolt will show the damage.

If the coil pack is bad, check it with an ohm-meter. Sorry I don't have the specs for the pack. You should be able to figure out the pin out for the pack.

Aaron

WOT: Wide Open Throttle

A complete coil pack failure is also unusual. Coil packs have 3 coils firing 6 cylinders. One mail fail but not often all of them. When all of them don't fire it would tend to point to:

1) The computer is not telling it to fire (no crank sensor input)
2) The computer is telling the DIS to do something, but it isn't.

The reason why we are stuck on the Crank and Cam sensors or the harmonic balancer is that these items won't throw codes.

A Coil pack, or a DIS failing should throw a code. You may not get a check engine light, but if you check for codes they should show up there.

If you haven't tried to pull any codes yet, you should.

Thank you for the info, I did replace the coil pack though. I will check the harmonic balancer today, thanks alot.

Back