I decided on Konis

woodyb1

Well, I decided to replace my shocks after 115K miles, I thought it was time. I have had the car for only 5K of those miles. I did a lot of research, at first I wanted to keep the electronic control suspension. I even went so far as to find a number of motorcraft part warehouses that had a number of replacements. However, after reading about Tokico being the OEM supplier and the Illumina II replacement shocks as being duds, I decided to go with Konis. I let you know the progress in the next couple of weeks.

woodyb1 said:
Well, I decided to replace my shocks after 115K miles, I thought it was time. I have had the car for only 5K of those miles. I did a lot of research, at first I wanted to keep the electronic control suspension. I even went so far as to find a number of motorcraft part warehouses that had a number of replacements. However, after reading about Tokico being the OEM supplier and the Illumina II replacement shocks as being duds, I decided to go with Konis. I let you know the progress in the next couple of weeks.
let me know how they ride. it's that time for me also.

Good choice. Konis work excellent in our cars. Nice balance of ride and handling.

cheers,
Ed N.

I bought Konis as well, I'm just waiting on my Vogtland springs to get here, and I'll slap them on, as well as a full suspension rebuild, and 1 3/8ths Addco swaybars.

im also in the process of redoing my shocks. going at it this weekend. mine are pretty much just shells attached to the car. :rolleyes: . the previous owner had the arc removed so im going with kyb's. damn cheap. 163 and some change shipped. my 5spd still has the arc though so let us know as soon as you have them on on how they do.

Moses

I will be buying the konis too after I buy a 10point cage and racing seats with 5point harnesses first.

Shane

how much are the konis and where's the best place to get them? what do you do with the ARC? just toss the actuators and pull the bulb outta the gauge cluster?

NMxr7SC said:
i didn't think they were that much. i may as well buy the ARC shocks for that much!
What are you...retarded? :confused: Koni's are the only way to go....you freak. :eek: :D

Darkside said:
What are you...retarded? :confused: Koni's are the only way to go....you freak. :eek: :D
That price is retarded :eek: How bout some monroe sensa tracs? :rolleyes:
I got gears and exhaust to buy. I don't need to be dropping that much cheese on some B.S. shocks that i really need :mad:

NMxr7SC said:
That price is retarded :eek: How bout some monroe sensa tracs? :rolleyes:
I got gears and exhaust to buy. I don't need to be dropping that much cheese on some B.S. shocks that i really need :mad:
You don't have a problem dropping cheese when you're in my garage working under my car! :eek: :D LOL! You need to be dropping "cheese" on your transmission or on a torque converter in the first place. All the gears and exhaust in the world aren't going to help you with that "cheezy" tranny you have. :rolleyes: :cool: :p

Will someone please tell this guy to upgrade his tranny! A good torque converter would do wonders for your car.
I apologize for hijacking this thread. :)

Last edited:
Fronts are 8641 1209 Sport, rears are 8041 1202 Sport. For the 89 - 97 cars, Koni only offers the yellow Sport version, not their basic red shocks.

cheers,
Ed N.

Any ideas on Koni settings? I do find it rather amusing that people say Konis are expensive...I say balderdash! Konis are the best!

Full adjustment is approx. 2-1/2 turns from full soft to full hard. I usually leave mine set between 3/4 to 1 turn from full soft, depending on how sporty I'm feeling. An adjustment as small as a quarter of a turn is noticeable.

The only time mine get anywhere near the full hard setting is at the open-track events. Full hard is very stiff!!

cheers,
Ed N.

woodyb1 said:
Any ideas on Koni settings? I do find it rather amusing that people say Konis are expensive...I say balderdash! Konis are the best!
You're right it kicks *** to spend $500 on something disposable. :)

fast Ed N said:
Fronts are 8641 1209 Sport, rears are 8041 1202 Sport. For the 89 - 97 cars, Koni only offers the yellow Sport version, not their basic red shocks.

cheers,
Ed N.

Ed,

Are those shocks direct replacements, exceptfor not using the ARC accuators ? Or are those the ones that require sawing something ?

David

Back