Unknown Engine Noise! Help!

gotboostsc

SCCoA Member
My engine is making a noise which I am not sure of what it is. It makes this noise around 3,000 rpm and does go away further on. It is a noise that kind of sounds like a piston slap. It is like a clacking, not really loud, but noticable. It is too slow to be something in the valvetrain. Is this possibly a timing chain slap or something along that line? If anybody has run into this or something like it, please let me know. My car has 133,000 miles on it, dosent use any oil, compression is good, and the car runs very strong. Let me know, my email is gotboostsc@yahoo.com.

Boy, it is really hard to say without hearing in person. It's my understanding by reading the forums that you can check your timing chain slack by removing the cam shaft position sensor (CPS) from the top of the assembly, and move the crank by hand (wrench) one direction till it moves, and then back the other. Tight would be direct relationship between moving the crank shaft and the moving of the 'U' shaped tin looking thing under the CPS. For me, if the crank moved more then a 1/4 in. (giving the miles), I would consider replacing the timing chain, but that's me. As per SCCOA's info:

Timing Chain Tensioner:
A tensioner and corresponding snubber were added to the engine.

http://www.sccoa.com/articles/everwonder.php

With a tensioner, it is possible that it has reached its limits, and the rubber stub on its end is worn out. You may get by with just replacing the tensioner, but you should replace both the tensioner, and timing chain together if you do determin that it needs replaced.

Back