super coupe trivia

manson

hey, new to this bord, but not to all the others lol. any body hear know the hp stats on supercoups from 89-97? i know 89 was 210hp and 315ftlbs, but what did it eventualy go up to, and what made the hp difference possible? i tryed searching but that didnt yeald anything other than a 500 hp neon... :confused:

Super Coupes were produced from 1989 to 1995

89-93 - 210 HP, 310 TQ
94-95 - 230 HP, 330 TQ

Enjoy :D

-Andy "Melon"

ok thanks, now what was it that made the extra power and torqu? just bigger injectors along with a better blower, or just a smaller pully? and then they added the lower first gear in the late ones to rite?

I believe the only change to create more power was in the supercharger, plenum, and intake porting. Larger ports on the 94/95's, allowing more airflow. There's lots of info on this topic, and many pics. Try an advanced search. JJ

Other than the better blower ins 94/95, I think they got a better oil pump and 36# fuel injectors. There was also something with the tranmission, besides going to 4R70W from AOD. I THINK it was the wide ratio gears in it?

-Andy "Melon"

Melon said:
Other than the better blower ins 94/95, I think they got a better oil pump and 36# fuel injectors. There was also something with the tranmission, besides going to 4R70W from AOD. I THINK it was the wide ratio gears in it?

-Andy "Melon"

wide ratio gears is correct. hence the "w" in 4r70w. ;)

Moses

Don't forget with the larger injectors, came a bigger mafs. Up to 70mm from 55mm.

The 94/95 blower was more efficient and had a larger pulley on it than the earlier years did.

First through third gear ratio's were changed for the five speed (M5R2) transmission in 94. They were a little higher ratio than 89-93.
Compression ratio was also changed from 8.2:1 on 89-93's to 8.5:1 on 94/5's.
I don't know if that added much performance wise though. Also 94/5's have/had the least aggressive cam spec's of all the previous years.

Last edited:
NCredSC said:
Don't forget with the larger injectors, came a bigger mafs. Up to 70mm from 55mm.

I thought the MAF was changed in 1992? 89-91 SC's had a 55mm and 92-95 SC's had 70mm's?

-Andy "Melon"

Melon said:
I thought the MAF was changed in 1992? 89-91 SC's had a 55mm and 92-95 SC's had 70mm's?

-Andy "Melon"
changes started in 92 they had the good gas tank ala straighter exh,
bigger 70mm mass, no egr though no hp diff was claimed I think some of the 94-95 hp gain was in part due to these changes in 92 + the blower and intake and injecters in 94-95 not to sure on injectors since our 30s dont max outuntil 280-295 hp so maybe the blower added 10 hp and the tank and mass added 10 so a 92-93 should be 220 hp hmm even though stock they dont even put out the claimed hp ;)

While we are throwing opinions around, I'll add this one to the mix. ;)

The 70mm MA is not an upgrade from the 55mm. No additional HP resulted from that.

The exhaust system on the 93 and newer cars was horribly restrictive resulting in possibly less hp.

The injectors did not create any hp at all.

94-95 cam specs were milder than previous years which actually limits HP above 4500rpm.

The 94-95 also had slightly higher compression and a crankshaft windage tray.

The main performance enhancing change that occurred in 94 is the better supercharger. Because of a better seal on the rotors, the blower was able to be turned significantly slower than the previous blower which results in more hp being available to move the car.

A combination of a 1995 engine with an 89 cam, a 94 blower spun with an 89 pulley and attached to an 89 exhaust system would result in the most possible HP, probably about 250hp and 350tq at the motor (220/310 at the wheels with a 5spd).

:)

XR7 Dave said:
A combination of a 1995 engine with an 89 cam, a 94 blower spun with an 89 pulley and attached to an 89 exhaust system would result in the most possible HP, probably about 250hp and 350tq at the motor (220/310 at the wheels with a 5spd).

Dave, that sounds like it would be a nice "stock" set up.

excelent, yeah i tryed look'n with the search function but it didnt turn out so well. and unfortunatly the car sold. only 350 bucks to... o well. i realy dont have the cash for it anyway, but im still lookin. thanks again. ill be posting more hear im sure.

XR7 Dave said:
While we are throwing opinions around, I'll add this one to the mix. ;)

The 70mm MA is not an upgrade from the 55mm. No additional HP resulted from that.

The exhaust system on the 93 and newer cars was horribly restrictive resulting in possibly less hp.

The injectors did not create any hp at all.

94-95 cam specs were milder than previous years which actually limits HP above 4500rpm.

The 94-95 also had slightly higher compression and a crankshaft windage tray.

The main performance enhancing change that occurred in 94 is the better supercharger. Because of a better seal on the rotors, the blower was able to be turned significantly slower than the previous blower which results in more hp being available to move the car.

is the exh on the 93 and newer sc different than my 92? mine has the straight thru tank unlike the 89 tank and other than that its the same as my 89.

Back