Supercharger Questions??

Quadrod

I currently starting a supercharger project with my 92 Chevy Beretta GTZ 2.3 HO, using a SC out of a Thunderbird supercoupe.

What I was needing to know is what is the psi output a TB SC supercharger?

Also could someone please tell me what is the lb size of the stock injectors?

Thanks

You have a death wish, don't you? :confused:

The stock output on our SC's is about 12-13 psi. Though I am not sure of the drive ratio.

The stock injector size is a 30lb or as some say #30.

Good luck! Hopefully you can keep that bad boy together. ;)

Quadrod said:
I currently starting a supercharger project with my 92 Chevy Beretta GTZ 2.3 HO, using a SC out of a Thunderbird supercoupe.

Thanks
On the 3.8 liter engine, stock exhaust, stock intercooler tubing, stock TB/MAF/Plenum, and using the Eaton M90 SC, you can get around 10 PSI. Maybe 12 on a cold day. The better the engine breathes, the more power you will get, but boost will drop. Stock is 32# injectors (I think) which can feed enough fuel to get you to about 250 hp out of the 3.8.

On your 2.3, I'd expect you can get a lot more boost out of the M90, you may even end up underdriving it. Good luck.

89-93 will see boost levels 10-13 lbs , stock injectors are 30#
94-95 will see boost levels 13-15 lbs , stock injectors are 36#
you will need a very large pully for this

Quadrod said:

Thanks

It all depends on drive ratio. Blower displacment is 90cu in/ rev. Here is the formula. (25.58 x Supercharger CID x Drive ratio / Engine CID) - 14.7

A drive ratio of 1.5:1 will give you about 10psi. A drive ratio of 1.2:1 will give you about 5psi. If I remember correctly the Quad 4 has about a 10:1 compression ratio so you will probably need to run about 5psi or less. You may want to try a smaller blower like the M45 used in Mercades cars.

Jeff

You guys are making me have douts here :D , but I'll going think about this. Thank you all for your help. If I do complete my SC project I'll come back and show picture of the install.

I am not sure how much you know about forced induction, but it's not just baking some brackets
and finding a belt to fit your application. There is a lot of tuning and math and all sorts of fun
things that must be thought of before you start trying to bolt things on. Things like timing (have
you seen your distributor lately?), fuel enrichment, crankshaft load, how much power can the
driveline can handle, must all be considered. Or your engine could die a spectacular death.

I mention the smaller blower in order to keep blower speed up so that it is more efficient.
Running the blower at low rotor speeds allows the air on the outlet side to leak back to the inlet
side. The M45 is also used on the Mini Cooper. Also there is a premade kit for the Quad 4 that
GM produced some years ago. You might want to look at that kit and see how they did things
first. That way you can get an idea of what you will need to do. It may be easier just to buy the
kit, or if money is tight you could make it yourself without having to start from scratch figuring
out what you need.

Jeff

Quadrod said:
You guys are making me have douts here :D , but I'll going think about this. Thank you all for your help. If I do complete my SC project I'll come back and show picture of the install.

Don't quit now! I've always wanted to see a forced air quad 4.

Forgive the total newbie reply, but wouldn't adapting a SC designed for one of the GM3800 engines be a better choice? Bracketry and such may even be bolt over, as well as computer stuff. Just a thought. I saw a bunch of them on "EVIL-Bay" recently too.

No it would be a custom no mater what you do. Besides the blower is rather large for the 2.3L engine as stated earlier. Plus the fact that you have more rotational inertia than you would with one of the smaller blowers. Computer stuff wouldn't work at all as the 2.3 is a 4 cylinder and GM has only made supercharged 6 cylinders so far. An M62 from a 93-96 GM would be a better fit, but you still have to deal with the huge flange used to mount the blower to the engine.

Jeff

So, no matter what, it sounds like a majoe project. Gotta forgive my lack of knowledge, I am used to wrenching on carbed inline 6's. Forced induction is somewhat new to me. :D Except for my truck though (Cummins turbo diesel), but I don't intend on tinkering with that.

Anyway, wish the best of luck on the project Quadrod!

OH no I'm not going to give up yet. The two main reasons that I choose the Eaton M90 SC for my project, one is that my uncle has a "spare" one in his shop. He and I have been talking about boosting my quad4 for a while. The second reason is that it has be done before. Thou I want to run to a front mount intercooler then a BOV.

2003challenge%20013.jpg

By the way my uncle, took a Ford 3.8 SC from a SuperCoupe and droped it in a pontiac fiero with some mods done it to. Can we sat second gear wheelie. Sold it off a while ago thou. :(

Quadrod said:
OH no I'm not going to give up yet. The two main reasons that I choose the Eaton M90 SC for my project, one is that my uncle has a "spare" one in his shop. He and I have been talking about boosting my quad4 for a while. The second reason is that it has be done before. Thou I want to run to a front mount intercooler then a BOV.
QUOTE]

Well you don't need a BOV for a roots blower, you really need a bypass valve. and again a blower this large is a waste for an engine this small the M45 mounting is close to the way the M90 mounts. Bigger isn't always better.

Jeff

green73 said:
Except for my truck though (Cummins turbo diesel), but I don't intend on tinkering with that.

!
Why not, exhaust, intake,chip,injectors=~400hp, 900tq my friend has a 12 valve, i'm scared to race him with my stock 93

Quad 4's are garbage, blew two of em up. Each had just over 100,000 miles on them. The first was in a 1989 Oldsmobile Calais w/manual tranny. The second was in a 1996 Oldsmobile Achieva w/manual tranny. For some reason they didn't like their connecting rods and puked them out the bottom of the pan. You couldn't pay me to take another GM 4 cylinder!

No but you will puke a headgasket (this summer) if you haven't already. Abuse will kill any engine. And it seems you have had more than your share of SC related problems.

Back to the questions that were asked earlier. One other thing I was thinking about. I am pretty
sure that the Quad 4 uses peak and hold injectors, instead of the saturated style. You can use the
saturated style, even though it’s not designed to.

Last edited:
here is a few pics of my mess at times i see 15 to 17 psi so this spring im hoping to increase the charger pulley to reduce the boost so im not over driving the charger

aup.sized.jpg

auo.sized.jpg

Back