Upgraded Exhaust and Boost Pressure Loss

NY90RedSC

I am going to upgrade the exhaust on my 90 SC in the near future. My question is, with a freer flowing exhaust system, will the boost pressure for the supercharger drop, and if so, how much will I lose? Is there a way if this does happen to maintain the original boost pressure I had before swapping exhaust systems? :confused:
I apologize ahead of time if this question sounds stupid. I'm just totally new to these cars I want to do what's best for the car to make it last.

Boost is basically a measure of backpressure. Remove a restriction (exhaust) and air will flow better. You will loose 2-3 lbs of boost depending upon your exhaust set-up, but you will increase your power level. You will drop maybe 10-15 ft lb's of torque, but will pick that up in horse power. I didn't notice more than about a 1 lb loss in boost, but the power level did go up. Especially at slightly higher rpms. Just because you loose boost (due to removing a restriction) don't think that you loose power. Boost does not always equal power. You have to look at the efficeincy of the enginge, supercharger, etc before you can say that a boost loss is bad. I'd love to be at the same power level I am now with only 8 lbs of boost, instead, I'm at 15 lbs. Try a search to see if you can get some more information. I know that there's a few of us who have made numerous posts on boost levels vrs efficeincy.

Sam is right about the drop in boost pressure. A free flowing exhaust will be one of the best things you can do for your SC. You can pick up some of the lost boost by putting on a 5% pully on the blower and you will get back some of the boost you lost. You can buy one in the parts forum. There is usually 1 or 2 up for sale

Back