PDA

View Full Version : Sub size?

Hock
02-03-2005, 01:48 PM
Based on everyone's experience and knowledge which is the best size subs to go with in our cars.

cowtown
02-03-2005, 04:10 PM
Really depends on what kind of music you listen too. Typically smaller subs work better for fast beat music where you need the sub to recover quickly. The larger they are, the slower they move. They'll still sound good overall though.

Personally a couple of 10's works great for most my use, though I had a pair of 12's in my last car that had any kind of aftermarket audio and they worked quite nice as well.

PearlBird
02-03-2005, 07:46 PM
Actually the size of the subs has nothing to do with how fast it moves. ITs all about what motor/spider/voice coils they use, plus many more parameter that are incorperated into the subs. I have a 15" resonant engineering XXX subwoofer that will play 1/32 bass notes continuessly. When It comes to how lound a speaker is going to be. The most important factor is the box its installed in. Some speaker needs small sealed enclosures to be effective, other need large porterd boxes. The manufacturer of the speaker should have the specific cubic feet and tuning specification for their speakers.
And if you want a good subwoofer that isnt to expensive. Try the http://www.adireaudio.com/TextPages/ShivaPageFrameText.htm speaker from Adire audio. I had two of them a year or so ago and they have impressive output and great sound quality. You can also try www.reaudio.com and look under subwoofers at their products. You have to call them for prices though. hope this helps. Remember, you can have a awesome speaker in a box not suitable for its needs and it will sound horrible. The opposite is also true. I have seen low quality subs in perfect boxes that can actually sound good.

92SCDoughboy
02-06-2005, 11:05 PM
I have had 3 12's in my car since i put a system in, and love it

used to run alpine VR12 older

now i am running 3 MB Quart RWE304's and they pound nice

but its totally a prefernce, of what perofrmance u are looking for, size, quanityt, everything,,

everyone thinks differently

tbirdaj
07-23-2005, 06:31 PM
Actually the size of the subs has nothing to do with how fast it moves. ITs all about what motor/spider/voice coils they use, plus many more parameter that are incorperated into the subs. I have a 15" resonant engineering XXX subwoofer that will play 1/32 bass notes continuessly. When It comes to how lound a speaker is going to be. The most important factor is the box its installed in. Some speaker needs small sealed enclosures to be effective, other need large porterd boxes. The manufacturer of the speaker should have the specific cubic feet and tuning specification for their speakers.

I had the same speaker runnimg below 1 ohm in a custom box with a planet audio 2250d class D amp and it was about 153db. turning up the bass is like revving your engine, it's nice to be able to do both.

trife86
07-23-2005, 08:48 PM
i have a preety hard hitting system in my crown vic right now (2 12's powered by a 2chan 1200watt amp and 4chanel interior amp 1000watt. 4 tweeters)

i wanna put this in the t-bird soon but i think that trunk will rattle way way too much, or i was thinking put the box facing toward the back seat and push it as far as it can go and put the backseat down, will that sound ok, or will it need to sound need to bounce around the trunk?

brandonhgt
07-24-2005, 12:00 AM
I cant stand my 2 12 inch subs powered by a little dinky 1000 watt amp. I have to turn all the settings WAAAY down. I must be getting old!

SuperCoupe007
09-08-2005, 07:28 PM
I got one 10" in the trunk, Its custom, and I coudln't be any happier with it. I won't win any sound competition but its perfect to me. To me its hits pretty good. no rattles or anyrhing.... I got a pic of it in my member page incase if anyone wants to see it...
:)

trife86
09-08-2005, 09:19 PM
id say go with 12's or 15's not that much more expensive and definatly worth it

SK_BlownThunder
09-27-2005, 01:26 AM
all you people with big stereos and all, I have two 10's in sealed box, powewred by just a 250W single channel amp, works quite well for what I want. basically got the amp, woofers, box, and clarion deck for total of 825 cdn dollars.

trife86
09-27-2005, 10:14 AM
all you people with big stereos and all, I have two 10's in sealed box, powewred by just a 250W single channel amp, works quite well for what I want. basically got the amp, woofers, box, and clarion deck for total of 825 cdn dollars.

some of us just want that much more sound, my 2 sony xplode 12' subs were $50 each new 400watt rms 1200watt peak, box off crutchfield for $60 and my sony 1200watt amp to power them was $200 which makes a total of $360 for the bass section of my system,which is about $425cad if i add my other amp and interior speakers figure $700 cad, all sony and infiniti