PDA

View Full Version : To Blast......or not to Blast......that is my question...

joshbea6
02-04-2005, 03:10 PM
I am going to be ready to take my SC to a metal shop soon to have the paint removed. I have been quoted by the metal shop the same price to have the car sand/media blasted as to have it chemically dipped.

What I want to know is since the price is the same, what would you recomment that I do. I know the ups/ downs of sand/ media blasting as I have done it many MANY times. I don't know much about the chemical dip other than I have seen it done on "American Hotrod".

The big reason that I'm even considering the Dip process is that I know from experience that you can't get all of the media out of a car, but you can dilute any pockets of the chemical so that it doesn't eat through your sheet metal.

basically...............HELP!

Rich Thomson
02-04-2005, 03:36 PM
Glass bead is the safest. Have them tape off the openings and plug any holes once the entire SC is apart have them glass bead blast it clean. I had my M5R2 trans case glass bead blasted last year. Got the case very clean without damaging the aluminum.

Rich

SuperChicken89
02-04-2005, 05:33 PM
Josh,

If it were me, I would have the car plastic media blasted. To dip a vehicle would require a total disassembly. Plastic media blasting is done with the car assembled. As a matter of fact the glass and trim doesn't have to be masked off. Glass beading or sand blasting is a big no-no on sheet metal. The heat generated by the more aggressive media will warp the metal panels beyond repair. The plastic media doesn't generate the heat to warp panels. To dip a car would mean disassembling it down to the bare body. Believe me it is a hell of a lot of work (see picture below). My project car was completely disassembled and dipped in an alkaline solution to remove all paint, seam filler, and body filler. Then dipped in another alkaline tank to neutralize and remove all rust. The dipping process alone costs $1,300 which doesn't include any disassembly.
If I can be of any help, let me know. I have been there and seen that before.

Bryan

joshbea6
02-04-2005, 05:44 PM
Well I'm 90% of the way disassembled as it is now. I had to replace the floorpan due to some MAJOR rusting issues on the drivers side. I was about driving a flinstones car.....stopping with my feet.....

The only things that I have left to remove from the car are doors, glass, moonroof, some minor wiring, and fenders. I was/ am planning on taking the ENTIRE car back to bare metal so that there is a "fresh canvas" to build from. I am primarily doing this to discover just how much rust there really is on the car.

tim
02-04-2005, 06:14 PM
Media blasting works well. The place that does it by me puts the whole body on a cradle and turns it. It does not take out bondo ect. under normal removal. Chemiacal dipping which is also done right by me removes everything. Bondo, rust dirt everything. if the car has rust it will take it all out. then it is put in a nutralizer and then dipped in a sealer similer to primer. If I was going to do a complete restroation I would go with the dip. You will have a clean slate to work with. It will be easier to do any repairs necessary because all the junk will be gone it also lets you see exactly what you have .The down side is if the car is badly rusted it WILL completely eat the whole car away. This happened to a friend of mine restoning a 57 chevy. The car was so bad it was junked. If you plan on drag racing the car most places can leave the body, hood trunk doors ect. in longer and actually lighten it by quite a bit. Its an old 60s Super Stock trick.

SuperChicken89
02-04-2005, 10:21 PM
The dipping process Tim is referring to is a Phosphoric Acid dip. It will leach the steel away. It was/is and old drag racing trick that is used to lighten the steel making body panels paper thin.
The process I used is an alkaline dip. The alkaline won't leach any metal away. In any rusty areas only the rust is removed. It is an incredible process. As you can see from the picture above, the car body looks the same as it did 36 years ago before Ford painted it.
There is a company in Cincinnati, Ohio called American Metal Cleaning that does the same process as I had done here in Florida. I will scan the article from Cars and Parts magazine to pdf format on Monday when I'm back at the office. My ~~~ scanner here at home is useless.

Bryan

quick35th
02-05-2005, 01:04 AM
Josh, alittle of topic but hey I would love to stop by sometime and see your SC. I live in columbus so its not like I have much of a drive. Let me know.

Shane

SuperChicken89
02-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Josh,

I emailed you the pdf file of that article on dipping.

Bryan