What to do broken key?

x182dan

My key just broke off in the ignition, it broke about halfway from the end. I have to stick the remainder of the key in the ignition to get it started, so what do I have to do to get the broken part of the key out? I do have a spare but how to get out the broken key?

Go to a locksmith

Got to a locksmith If you are still able to turn the ignition then they can easily remove the lock cly and pop put the broken key
'Id guess it may cost you 50.00 or so

I had that happen on my 88 Mustang GT. The locksmith didn't even want to mess with it. So I ended up digging into the cylinder, with whatever I could find and finally got the rest of the key out. Took the locking cylinder out and replaced it, good as new. ;)

or you could do what i did to my 90 and beat the cylinder into submission w/ a screwdriver, but now i can start it w/ a screwdriver. LOL!!!

What you need is a tool that you can make to use like a lock pick. Something similiar to an ice-pick that has a point but small enough in diameter to go into the key slot. Then bend a small "hook" into the pointed end and go in and try to work the piece out. You should be able to get a bite on the broken piece on the toothed side of the key. Or, use two such tools and work from both sides of the key at same time. Good luck, John

AnnivSpeCpe said:
What you need is a tool that you can make to use like a lock pick. Something similiar to an ice-pick that has a point but small enough in diameter to go into the key slot. Then bend a small "hook" into the pointed end and go in and try to work the piece out. You should be able to get a bite on the broken piece on the toothed side of the key. Or, use two such tools and work from both sides of the key at same time. Good luck, John
I think you'r referring to dental picks. Harbor Freight sells sets for a few dollars. They're even called dental picks. Watch your fingers, they're really sharp.

Back