94' SC...crank sensor adjustable? new balancer nessasary?

bigcletus94

I have new motor i am trying to find time to drop in my car. I have heard that on older SC's the crank sensor needs to be properly lined up. Is this true for a 94'? I know the 94 crank sensor is a lot cheaper. I just installed the thing with the two little bolts. Also, should I replace my balancer/pully? I was just going to reuse my old one but if it is important, I will buy a new one. Should I go to Ford for it or is an aftermarket one better? Thanks for any help.

I know the older style may be "adjusted" with a matchbook cover, so it is not too critical. The main thing is to make sure it is close enough to the pickup but not close enough to be hit! I believe on the early styles the pickup goes through the middle of the sensor. On the late models the pickup looks more like an ABS sensor on the front hubs.

The stock balancers are expensive junk and are more prone to failure each time they are removed and re-installed. This procedure enlarges the aluminum center section that fits the crank and causes more of the stress to be borne by the crank bolt. Many people have experienced failure of this part.

If you do re-install your old one be sure and use a new crank bolt. You'll need a Mustang 3.8 one since the SC part has been discontinued by Ford.

The stock balancers are only sold as a balancer/pulley combo by Ford since they are balanced as a unit. BHJ makes an excellent aftermarket unit for our cars but it is expensive.

In the group buy forum I have info on the BHJ unit and the part numbers for the Mustang crank bolt. I would recommend the BHJ unit with some aftermarket underdrive pulleys. Or you could have the BHJ unit balanced with your stock pulley if you so desire.

The balancer/pulley is balanced as an assembly. If you removed the pulley with out marking the alignment to the balancer, you will have to have it rebalanced. You can also remove any balancing pins from the balancer and use an aftermarket pulley.

The balancer is very important - Think about the cost of a fresh motor compared to $200 for a new balancer. If you needed a new engine, the old balancer is probably ready to go also.

On my 89, the crank sensor can be aligned using a "matchbook cover" as a tool to ensure the vanes do not strike the sensor. The exact alignment is not important, just that the vanes clear the sensor.

Aaron

Back