Cam Sensor bad?

Scott Long

Car stalled out while driving. Cranked but wouldn't refire. Let it sit for like 10 minutes and then it finally fired but there is no tach. Once it runs it runs ok no missing but it has no tach signal. Now the sudden stall reminded me of the crank sensor, but the no tach sounds like a cam sensor. So I don't know. I would think w/o the crank sensor it wouldn't run at all, but without the cam sensor it may run but the tach signal is off. However the upshift light doesn't come on while the engine cranks. I'm in Virginia right now visiting my girlfriend and the local AZ only stocks the Cam Sensor and the crank sensor won't be available till Feb. 9

You may be in luck...

It sounds like the cam sensor, definitely not the crank sensor. When the crank sensor goes...you don't. Could be the DIS, but with the intermittent cranking I'm leaning more to the cam sensor. If you can pull the codes (there is a way to do this if you don't have a code reader, but I don't remember the specifics) that will tell you for sure. The Crank and Cam sensors will throw a code if bad, the DIS may or may not. Anyway, It sounds like you will be able to fix this one with just a screwdriver...

Well good and bad news. I have a code reader in my glove box but the battery terminal (-) was loose and corroded so I just replaced it but when doing so erased the computer. There never was a check engine light. The car will run after you crank it a few times, just there is no crank. It only died once on me, and that was right down on virginia beach but then it will restart and we drove it home. So I think it died the exact minute the sensor failed. Now I'm assuming lack of signal from the sensor although the computer tries different timing options and finally the car starts and runs. The only thing odd is that there isn't an engine light coming on.

Auto Zone's here said they had the sensor F134 in stock but after going to 3 AZ's and calling north carolina they all say they have it but none of the stores have it in stock, must be a glitch in the system. I ordered one over night from Advance since they can get it quicker than AZ (takes them 5 days). So hopefully when I change it my problems are solved and I can then safely drive back to michigan.

Unplug it. :cool: It will take a few tries (key off between tries) to get it started, but it will run fine once it does. You could have a stored code w/o a check engine light.

Last edited:
Ok, I changed the cam sensor today in the parking lot of the auto parts store and then I unplugged the battery to reset the idle and computer. I fired it up and it works fine. Problem solved.

Good thing. On the battery problem, A few years ago, I had the car go completely dead driving down the road at night.. engine cut out, no lights, no radio, no anything.. just coasting down the road. :eek: . I stopped got out and it strangely came back to life. Got home and looked at the battery cables and there was just enough oxidation on the positive post to cause the problem. Thats when I learned to clean the cables and posts even though they didn't look like they needed it. :)

Back