94' Power Antenna Mast problem

AlanEdwards

Hi,

I bought an aftermarket power antenna mast from eBay the other day and I'm having a problem installing it. The instructions say to unscrew the outer retaining ring with the antenna down, then turn the radio on to bring the antenna up and pull the mast out. Then feed the new mast into the antenna assy and turn the radio off and it will feed all the way back into the assembly.

Well, the original mast doesn't want to come out at all, after removing the outer retaining ring. I've pulled it, twisted it, shook it, pryed it, and even pulled the whole antenna assy out from undernieth, but cant figure out how to get the mast released from the assy.

Bear in mind, the pwr antenna is automatic, not manual, and I've got a '94. If someone knows the '94 for sure, as opposed to just the '93 or earlier, I would appreciate the help. I say this because I don't know if the mast set up is different on the 94, than on the 93 or earlier. Thanks for any help.

Alan

Alan,
I am pretty sure that the 95 (mine) and the 94 are very similar. If you can give the mast back, get the mast with the motor already assembled. I know hindsight is 20/20, but I replaced my mast with one from Ford (ouch) and the instructions said to run the mast off and then on while pulling on it. There was one important step that I can't remember what it is, but I was thinking to myself that the writer should have been shot. Next time I will order the whole assembly.

Mike

Antenna Mast with Cable/Track Replacement

If you mast cable/track ( _^_^_^_^_^_) can be in two pieces. Also, the mast must be pulled out from the bottom of the metal tube, not the top. You have to remove the metal guide tube from the motor to remove the mast and cable. If yours is in two pieces, like mine was, only the piece above the break will come out the the mast. The remainder will be wrapped around the reel inside the motor. If I remember correctly, the tract is affixed to the reel as well. Better to get a whole OEM assembly IMHO. But, if you can't swing it, rebuild the one you got with the new mast. Just try and make the tract the same length as the original.

Been There........Done That!

My mast on my 94 gave up the ghost. The motor worked but the antenna with not move. Also, the black plastic fender mount kept breaking. I replaced that sucker 4 times. OPTION #1: I bought the replacement antenna from Ford. You have to take off the outer retaining ring and remove the black fender mount. There is another retaining ring under the black mount that holds the retainer sleeve into the barrel. After that is removed, turn the radio on and pull the antenna out. The replacement antenna comes with 2 sleeves depending on your application. Be sure to get the right one. Turn the radio off and feed the nylon drive belt in the hole. When the drive motor stops I believe there will be some antenna sticking up. I believe the instructions say push it down. I don't remember. However, when I did all of this the fender mount still kept breaking. OPTION #2: I went and bought a complete new antenna and drive motor assembly. Since I have installed the new anttena I have not had a fender mount break. Hope this helps!

Ed Springer

90 Black XR7 5-speed: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, '94 Supercharger, 5% SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, UD Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 36# Injectors, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:27 Gears, Ripper Shifter, 73mm CL MAF (Blue Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, Royal Purple Lubricants and Rear Spring Air Bags.

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 38# Injectors, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:73 Gears, 76mm CL MAF (Gold Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, Royal Purple Lubricants, TRANSGO Shift Kit, Pro-Torque 2500 Stall TC, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler, Tokico Struts & Shocks, American Racing 17” Sniper Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires and 235 RWHP with 315 LB-FT Torque.

There is a screw on the top of the assembly where the mast attaches that holds it all together. Take the whole assembly out of the fender. Unscrew the screw at the base of the mast then the mast will come out. Take the center nut off it will probably be covered by a thin coat of rubber but it will come off. Separate the two halves and take any parts of the cord out of the gear drive. Now put it all back together and use a normal 9 volt battery to run the motor. With a new 9 volt the motor should work slowly and pull the cord through the drive. With the mast all the way down reinstall and turn your radio on and off a few times and it should work. If your like me just take it all apart. This worked on both my 89 and 97 birds.

Back