Pwr. Windows Question(s)

HHHthegame

Ok, So we got the door panels off and the motors are not bad. When they were installed in the car and you hit the window switch you could hear a click from the switch, but no noise from the motor. When we got the motors out we tested them and they worked fine it seems. So is this bad switches? How do you get them out of the panel? Any ideas on this guys ? ? Austin

I've had the motors work out of the car but not in the car. They get weak and don't work with the weight of the window. If you hit the switch and they turn when you have them in your hand but attached to the cars harness and they don't work when attached to the window, then the motors are bad. If you want to test the switch, you can hook an ohm meter up to the harness leads and check for power. Or you can switch it w/ the door lock switch (they just pop out) and you'll know if the switch is bad.

The motors only take like 10 minutes to change if they are bad. Get them from autozone and you get a liftetime warranty on them.

Ok, we now have the windows going up and down, but the window has a hard(er) time as it gets to the very top. If you push up on the front of the window when its about half down, it has some play in it? Normal? We suspect it may be that the front track is bad? How much/hard is this to repalce? We sprayed some WD40 in there and it seems to get better? ANy ideas?

432375_65_full.jpg

But how would one go about replacing the front track like the one pictured. I spoke with a guy on this board and he told me to just grease it up really good, and be done with it. But he said dont grease anything with felt on it, does that track pictured have felt on it? Thanks for the help !

I only grease the metal ones that act like a scissor to raise or lower the window. The side tracks like the one you have in the picture have felt on them and they allow the window to stay aligned. I don't see how there is any way for them to get damaged unless you get in a wreck and the door gets smashed.

If you do need to replace the front lower track that you pictured, it's pretty simple. Just roll the window all the way up, remove the one 11mm bolt that holds the track in place, and pull it out.

-Rod

I'd check the stabilizer assy which is the horizontal piece that the glass sits on. It tends to rust, causing play in the glass.

Attachments

• Window glass.jpg
    Window glass.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 104
Yea man just replace the tracks and motor. Save yourself the trouble pinpointing the problem after you done replaced everything else.

Ok, we looked at the other door and the window has no play at all, so that was good. But the drivers side has play, quite a bit too. When you shake the window, the whole bar (red arrows) moves with it, like its loose. There is a white "clip" kinda looking thing in the track (far left arrow), that appears to move freely up and down like its supposed to be bigger, correct? Any ideas on how to fix this window issue? How hard is that clip to replace if it is bad? Thanks SO MUCH guys, we are almost there ! lol

432375_67_full.jpg

Any Ideas, guys? Is there supposed to be play in that clip? Maybe just a loose bolt somewhere? Thanks for all the Help . . . Again, lol. Austin

I greased mine up and on the felt I put graghit powder they work great . also bad switches can do this also.

Since the mechanism is rusty, I would look for rust elsewhere too. The rear vertical track is held on by only one bolt. Raise the window, remove the bolt, take out the track and examine it for rust damage at the two mounting points (the bolt mounting point and the other end of the track). If this track is not in the right position, the window will not be guided up/down correctly, there will be play in the glass, and the motor will strain to raise/lower the glass.

So if I understand you right, the play is at the point where the scissor arms attach to the horizontal bar that supports the window. Right? There are two white plastic bushings in that bar, one at each scissor arm. They wear out with time, and I think they can be replaced. However, I ditched my old car before I did that job, so I don't know exactly how.

Also, check the vertical window guide at the rear of the door. It's held in place by a clip at the top and a bolt at the bottom. That can rust out and break.

Ok, I went to FORD today and tried to order the plastic white clips (see pics above). You have to buy the whole regulator (Scissors like thing) for $103.23. I nearly died. Anyone have an idea how to get new ones? I will try Napa and Auto Value later today.

HHHthegame said:
Ok, I went to FORD today and tried to order the plastic white clips (see pics above). You have to buy the whole regulator (Scissors like thing) for $103.23. I nearly died. Anyone have an idea how to get new ones? I will try Napa and Auto Value later today.

Are you talking the plastic things that glue to the bottom of the window itself? Sorry as the picture is unclear to me. If you ARE talking about the plastic clips to hold the bottom of window, I just went down to my local Auto Glass (Windshield Repair Shop) and they sell a universal kit. It's basically aluminum clips (Not plastic) with the stud and nut. You WILL NEED ADHESIVE. Let them recommend what kind is best. They charged me $10 for the two pices/kit. Simple job to do.

The clips that are on the window itself appear OK. These white clips go side ways in that track as you move the window up and down. I have yet to look at the rear track, I will do that tommorrow afternoon or Wednesday when I can get some free time again , lol. Is it possible to repalce just those white clips, or does a new scissors bar await me?

I think that the white clips that move sideways are supposed to have some play because the scissors mechanism moves upwards and inwards as the door frame and glass are not flat but curved. I'm not 100% sure as I don't have it in front of me. I would check the rear track and if it is O.K. then check the white clips on the other window for play with the rear guide removed.

I bet a junkyard would have those clips. I wouldn't think it has to be off an SC. Just a N/A Bird with power windows, and maybe even some other Ford's in that year are probably similar or the same...

Back