Inside door handle not working, no tension

Scott Long

I went to get out of my car last night and the door handle inside just swings freely. I have to roll down the window to open the door. This is ghetto. Anyone ever have this happen? At first the handle started to seem loose, like it wouldn't spring all the way back in, but the door would still open. Now there is no tension on it. I hope there is something I can just re-attach. Anyone have a pic or diagram of the inside of the door?

Also my other SC has a problem when you lock the door, if you pull on the outside handle it pops the lock up and the door opens. Kind of defeats the purpose of a lock. Any ideas why that would happen?

My passenger side door does the same thing. I have to walk around the other side of the car to open the door. My driver side door sometimes does it as well. I have not taken the panel off yet, but I can't imagine that it is anything too complicated.

It did this on my drivers door too.
To fix this you'll have to remove the door panel. Then you have to remove the inside handle assembly from the door. Them remove the assembly from the latch rod.
There is a roll pin that holds the handle to the main mount that falls out. Align the lever in the handle assembly and push the roll pin back in.

Don't know why this pin fell out because when I stuck it all back together, the pin fit tight!? So with out doing anything else, I put the whole thing back together and it has been working flawless since. The whole thing took about a half hour to accomplish.
Good Luck!

Ok, I'll try to find the pin, hopefully its in the door somewhere. I assume after 14 years of use it walked itself out slowly.

the pin just slid down a bit into the lower hole. I was able to fix it by just removing the pin, lining up the gears and reinstalling the pin.

Back