Started my manifold project

007_SuperCoupe

This last weekend I was able to get started on my custom manifold that I had been muling over for a while. I've got pics included so you can see what I'm planning on. So far I've got roughly 3 hours invested. I've got a template made for the top and next weekend I will finish cutting for the top and get the template cut out of aluminum. Time permitting it will get welded on. Work on the inlet will start shortly thereafter.

My end goal is a raised top manifold with an opened up inlet, not unlike Randy's stage III manifold.

This is the first stage of development, so it still does look pretty rough. Another few hours of work will yield better looking results.

Attachments

• manifold1.jpg
    manifold1.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 231
  • manifold2.jpg
    manifold2.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 181
  • manifold3.jpg
    manifold3.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 186
  • manifold4.jpg
    manifold4.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 175
  • manifold5.jpg
    manifold5.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 212
Huh???

Whos is randy, and where in the name of living things did he get a stage III manifold?? I reeeeaaaaaallllllllly wanna know.

dirtybird x said:
Think he'd make me one?? :rolleyes: :D :cool: :D

Randy's stage III is $1200. You have the money, he'll make it for you. I don't, so I'm doing it myself.

But try a search to see what he's got. He's got plenty of pictures and info on them on the site here.

Here's some pics with the template on it showing where the top will be once I get it installed.

Attachments

• manifold pic 01.jpg
    manifold pic 01.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 154
  • manifold pic 02.jpg
    manifold pic 02.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 142
  • manifold pic 03.jpg
    manifold pic 03.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 155
  • manifold pic 04.jpg
    manifold pic 04.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 190
It be nice to see before and after numbers on a mod like that. EVen the 144 cid and 671 blowers I had and squashed panckae type lower amnifolds....But made big power. Curious if this mod will help. Seems it would but to what extent

007_SuperCoupe said:
attachment.php

Looks good. Now for something completely unrelated:
Are you using a puzzle as a workbench? :D :p

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
It be nice to see before and after numbers on a mod like that. EVen the 144 cid and 671 blowers I had and squashed panckae type lower amnifolds....But made big power. Curious if this mod will help. Seems it would but to what extent

Damon I believe David Dalke Dyno'ed one of Randy's manifolds.

Kurt K said:
Looks good. Now for something completely unrelated:
Are you using a puzzle as a workbench? :D :p

The puzzle just happened to be on the table that I put the manifold on (I did do it on purpose since I didn't want to scratch any tables up).

I'm not going to end up with before and after numbers, but I am going to get after only numbers. I've got a dyno tune coming up in April. I think we'll get a real good indication of what it will do. We've got stock manifolds, manifolds with the inlet opened up, manifolds with just minor porting and then the raised roof manifold. Wtihout looking at specific numbers, we'll have a real good idea of what the manifold will do, in that order of progression though. We'll be able to compare the curves to see how it will affect the power output. There are some with very similar mods so we'll be able to compare those numbers as well. My only concern at this point is if I run out of injectors. I'm running the stock ones for now. And I think that by the time the dyno comes around, that I'm going to pretty much be maxing them out. If so, then I know what my next mod will be!

I've been thinking of doing this sort of raised top mod, or even getting rid of the triangle, but I run small-med N20, and don't think I'll ever go above a 100 HP shot.

Mr. Dalke says that I would be likely to blow it up if I remove the triangle becasue it has distirbution properties. Imbalanceed N20 amongt cyclinders would be bad...

I am curious if anyone has done any flow testing on a manifold with the triangle removed to know how much difference the triangle makes?

Anyone have any insight on the distribution characteristic of the triangle?

Thanks!

Last edited:
ThunderRoad said:
:eek: warping even with strong-back.... :confused: or are you jumpiug around with welding?? :)

Not sure what you mean, but I got a spare manifld, plenums, and IC tubes, and want to play with the welder and some scraps over at the local Army base hobby shop. Yesterday, I found out they have a new Millermatice 251, and have the AL wire spool. But the only thing I've ever welded is a set of floorpans in a mustang... and took a few beads to get the feel of, it but that was 10+ years ago in hghschool... So my welding experience is zero! The guy that works there says he could help me out with the machine if i plan to show up at time he has deemed to be slow for buseness.

After my recent purchases for my 35th the wife has cut my SC funds off for a bit, but I have what is about to become a 93 parts car; long story with a SC I tried ot give my little brother and tried to help him fix up. Basically he has until easter weekend to give me some tire money and get it registered and insured, or it becomes a money source for my upcomming engine build. He still has no job, so I'm pretty sure it will become my parts car. I hope to get close to enough out of it to do a general engine overhaul, and a set of steg stage II heads, and one of your double ICs (guess I'll have 2 cores to send to you).

I don't think I'd trust myself to try a double IC, but I would like to experiment with my spare intake, open up a SC a bit, and mate the inlet, might even try a raised top. Guess I'll find out in another week or so... I'm hoping that welder they got up there can do this work...

Anyways, I've rambled long enough, I was just trying to find cheaper ways to free up a horse here or there....

Take care!

Re: Raised manifold

I swapped a raised manifold to Jim Demmitt a while back for some misc SC parts. He probably still has it as he has just about given up on campaigning the Silver Bullet. He'll probably sell it cheap.
George Clarke

I cringe at the thought of people jumping in with both feet trying to mod these intake manifolds. I know I'd sure never try it. For the amount of work that goes into it there are other much more productive things to do, not to mention there are significant concerns with air distribution when you are done.

The design of the stock intake has some very significant properties in it that are there specifically to keep even flow distribution in the motor. Ford had problems with the design in the first place and made changes to accomodate.

Of course I don't really know much, I'm an end user not an engineer. I did test one of Randy's Stage I manifolds and found that it picked up top end (over 5500rpm). This made a difference at the track (.2 sec and 2mph) but keep in mind this was a highly modified motor in the first place.

David

I also had noticed very little gains from manifold ,
but on invertred that changed as it lets air in in center so distribution is even and vee is not needed.

Back