is it my IAC or my camshaft sensor??

crzykyman

Okay, here goes, get home tonight, driving a 94 ford ranger. start up the bird, it ran rough for a bit then quit... didnt think much, i restarted it, the tach didnt work and when it is in gear it quits after about 5 seconds.. like it is in a bind almost.. also , it smells like it is running rich... is it the camshaft sensor??? thanks. Ken Huston jr.

IAC or Cam Sensor?

I just got a lesson on the Idle Air Control (IAC). From what I learned, a bad IAC can both allow too much air, or too little air past the TB plate. My book says to ohm it out to test. Be sure to have the key off and disconnect the IAC. Put (+) probe on the red wire pin and the (-) probe on the white/light blue strip wire pin and read ohms. It should read between 7 to 13 ohms.

As far as the CPS, I don't think its an issue unless right now, but could well be later on if the IAC is good.

No tach signal or eratic tach are classic indications of a bad cam position sensor. It's probably the easiest to change and cheapest part on the car, so I would suggest replacing it first.

David

Back