My Lame-O Power Steering Cooler

MikeKanterakis

SCCoA Member
Well, when I rebuilt the '93, I got rid of that rediculous power steering cooler and it's associated 15 feet of tubing. I got the cooler shown in the picture from a junkyard. It came out of some old Acura. I'm not sure if it was a transmission cooler or not, but it went across the whole front of the car, and it make me think that it would be a great power steering cooler for the T-bird.

Now, I no longer have the factory cooler, and the lines are gone from the front of the front sub-frame, so an oil-filter change will not result in oil getting all over the lines (making it impossible to completely clean up).

I routed some automatic transmission tubing from the outlet on the steering rack to the driver's side of the car, where it enters the cooler. Then, I purchased a formed piece of transmission cooler hose from NAPA that had a 180deg. bend. The second piece of the cooler is just a straight piece of metal tubing that runs back across the front of the car. From there, it goes back to the yellow tank on the back of the power steering pump. I also have some attaching pieces to hold the tubes in place, but right now, a picture of that is too hard to get.

ooops, guess my pontiac air dam is getting a bit tore up. Must remember to be careful with the Suspension Techniques 1.5'' drop.

Attachments

• T-bird Acura Power Steering Cooler.jpg
    T-bird Acura Power Steering Cooler.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 366
MikeKanterakis said:
Well, when I rebuilt the '93, I got rid of that rediculous power steering cooler and it's associated 15 feet of tubing. I got the cooler shown in the picture from a junkyard. It came out of some old Acura. I'm not sure if it was a transmission cooler or not, but it went across the whole front of the car, and it make me think that it would be a great power steering cooler for the T-bird.

Now, I no longer have the factory cooler, and the lines are gone from the front of the front sub-frame, so an oil-filter change will not result in oil getting all over the lines (making it impossible to completely clean up).

I routed some automatic transmission tubing from the outlet on the steering rack to the driver's side of the car, where it enters the cooler. Then, I purchased a formed piece of transmission cooler hose from NAPA that had a 180deg. bend. The second piece of the cooler is just a straight piece of metal tubing that runs back across the front of the car. From there, it goes back to the yellow tank on the back of the power steering pump. I also have some attaching pieces to hold the tubes in place, but right now, a picture of that is too hard to get.

ooops, guess my pontiac air dam is getting a bit tore up. Must remember to be careful with the Suspension Techniques 1.5'' drop.

Nice job. Looks like you're a regular junkyard innovator. :D Keep up the good work. My PS lines are leaking at the fittings and covered in oil under the oil filter.

i saw this and had to post... i know it's old... but!...

i once towed my car for about a mile with a chain hooked onto the PS cooler...
my friend and i seriously thought it looked like a towing hook! LOL =]

Back