porting incident

CMac89

I ported my inlet plenum and the inlet on my blower on saturday with a dremel tool. I was porting it on the inlet side and i dremeled a hole in it on accident about the size of a penny right by bolt hole. I tried epoxying it shut twice and the blower just sucked it in even after letting it dry overnight.

It will run but it will not idle at all, you just have to keep giving it gas. Vacuum is about 7. Will this hole make you lose power at all? It has about 16psi even with the vacuum leak. I raced some guys today that i normally beat and i got beat by them so i suspect i am losing some performance from the hole.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

thanks

CMac89 said:
I ported my inlet plenum and the inlet on my blower on saturday with a dremel tool. I was porting it on the inlet side and i dremeled a hole in it on accident about the size of a penny right by bolt hole. I tried epoxying it shut twice and the blower just sucked it in even after letting it dry overnight.

It will run but it will not idle at all, you just have to keep giving it gas. Vacuum is about 7. Will this hole make you lose power at all? It has about 16psi even with the vacuum leak. I raced some guys today that i normally beat and i got beat by them so i suspect i am losing some performance from the hole.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

thanks

I think you already answered your question.

yeah i guess i did. I just got bummed out and didnt understand why it was still making alot of boost with that hole.

It might have been making alot of boost if the hole was leaking into the block and therefore pressurizing it. After a short delay, it would then start to even out and boost the engine again....but all that pressure in the crank case is not a good thing.

CMac89 said:
I was porting it on the inlet side and i dremeled a hole in it on accident about the size of a penny right by bolt hole. I tried epoxying it shut twice and the blower just sucked it in even after letting it dry overnight.
Can you post pics of this hole you ground through the inlet plenum? It's just to hard to imagine how you could have done that with a little dremel tool.

Are you saying that twice you sucked a penny sized chunk of hard epoxy THROUGH the blower? What do your rotors look like now?

68COUGAR

The rotors arent hurt at all. I confused you by saying dremel tool. It was one of those hand air tools with a carbite grinding bit. It takes the metal away quickly. Obviously it got away from me.

Sorry to Hear That, but it is kinda funny

Maybe you can get it welded up if you don't know how to weld or have a welder? I bet if you put a whole tube of epoxy in there it will work LOL!

If the hole is in the plenum, you can weld it up (aluminum) or use JB Weld and let it cure overnight. Or you can just get another one from someone who has upgraded to an MP inlet. Just post in the classified section.

If the hole is in the supercharger case get another case.

David

You will probably need a much stronger epoxy. Try Mcmaster carr.

Jeff

PS get the penny size chuncks out of your IC or they will beat the fins closed.

On the inlet side of the blower a hole will not affect boost. However it will make the engine run lean so don't drive it like that under boost.

You can try to screw in a very large bolt with a huge, tight washer on it, and using some type of hard epoxy or rtv sealant combination on it to complete the seal (if there's enough room). i had a stock TB to crack on me once and i did this- it worked. This is a ghetto/magyver type fix, but it beats buying a new one.

Thanks for the input guys. I am going to take it to a welding shop today and i will give you an update after i get that fixed.

I did that on the 1st one I ported too. I had it welded shut, I had them use a much thicker plate, and much bigger than the dimensions of the hole. IF they do it right, you can port even bigger after they are done with it.

Good luck with it.

I hate to hear of things like this happening to fellow SC'ers. Nothing wrong with a man doing his own work, but as you've learned the hard way that there's a little more to porting work than just grinding away. Porting is an artform and a skill that takes some time to aqiure(spelling). You check with your local welding shop and if its a high amount that they want I'll weld it up for you at no cost. Most shops have a minimum charge and its usually pretty steep for Aluminum work, I know localy its about $75 for what you need.
I'll weld it for nothing but I will need you to pay the shipping both ways because I'm dirt poor right now or else I'de even pay the return shipping to you. Should'nt cost very much to ship just the blower case, there not that big or heavy. :)

I took it to the welding shop today and they said it would 60-80 dollars. The hole is bigger than i thought. I think when it sucked the epoxy in it took in some of the thin metal that the expoxy was on. The hole is around an inch and a quarter tall and 3/4" wide.

When porting, I use a hand held sonic tester. To check the thickness
of the aluminum portwall I am porting on.

Scanning the port will tell you were to build up with weld,or how deep of
a cut you can make before you break through.Cost around $200.00

If your having your blower case built-up with weld.I think I would have
the plenum and or the blower case intake welded up. So it can be ported
a little more.

And weld the slits closed on top of the blower.

Randy

Back