exhaust/coolant smell from heater

CMac89

When i turn my heater on it smells like exhaust or burnt coolant is coming through and after a little bit it burns your eyes. And all of a sudden today it blows cold air when the temp gauge is at N but it doesnt move. Could the head gaskets be going out?

Yessssssss!!!! How unfortunate, but how are you so sure? I guess it could explain my power loss combined with the bearing material in my oil filter.

Bearing Material!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CMac89 said:
bearing material in my oil filter.
How far did you drive it with no water in the cooling system? Did you seize the the motor?

68COUGAR

there is water in the cooling system you just have to add water every week. The motor hasnt seized up surprisingly. I just changed my oil after 2500miles and only 3 quarts came out.

Not to mention this thing has 153,000 miles on it, but the head gaskets were replaced by previous owner at 141,000. he said he did atleast

Last edited:
CMac89 said:
there is water in the cooling system you just have to add water every week. The motor hasnt seized up surprisingly. I just changed my oil after 2500miles and only 3 quarts came out.

Not to mention this thing has 153,000 miles on it, but the head gaskets were replaced by previous owner at 141,000. he said he did atleast
If he did, he did something wrong. Its a very easy job to mess up on if don't pay exacting attention to what you're doing and follow the torquing instructions to the letter or if you get in a hurry and cut a few corners. ;)

Back