AOD whines in OD

XR7 Dave

Why would an AOD have gear whine in OD. It's really loud around 55mph but barely noticable at 70. What would cause that noise?

XR7 Dave said:
Why would an AOD have gear whine in OD. It's really loud around 55mph but barely noticable at 70. What would cause that noise?
Hmmm, as a person who prides himself :rolleyes: about having almost every AOD problem know to mankind, I cannot say that I have ever experienced this problem.

Are you sure it's an OD problem? Have you tried duplicating the whine in another gear in the same rpm range? If I were guessing, I would think it would either have to be a convertor or OD band problem. Maybe OD is creating some type of harmonics / vibrations that are being transmitted through the driveshaft into the gears.

I didn't know you were an AOD guy.

He not. That's why he asked! :p

Dave, you know you shouldn't be fiddling around with things you don't know about!

Anthony

XR7 Dave said:
FWIW, I have a drive line noise which could be called a whine.. (but more of a groan when coming to a stop) which after a series of checks I deduced was the pinion bearing. It varies with vehicle speed and is most noticable around 35mph. I have a new/used differential smelling up my garage awaiting installation. :rolleyes:

Could it possibly be a front wheel bearing? I know it's a long shot and I probably should have kept my mouth shut on this one...but I had a "whine" that sounded like it was coming from underneath the car at cruising speeds on my 93 Cougar XR7. Turned out to be a wheel hub bearing...swapped the hub and that was it. Problem solved.
Sorry if this doesn't apply to these cars....

XR7 Dave said:

Are you sure it is the tranny...I only ask because different gears (manufacturers) will produce whining. Ford gears are the best at not making any noticeable noise, but other gear manufacturers are not as good. Generally it is as you describe, a more noticeable whine at certain speeds than others. I have yet to install my "other" brand gears, but I do expect some gear noise when I do.

You mention though that you only notice it in OD, is that because in D, the rest of the car is too loud for it to be heard, or is the noise just not there?

If it is coming from the AOD, then I haven't got a clue. Just helping out with what I do know about and what it could be. Hope this helps narrow it down.

Wow!! That is the first time I have seen the "XR7 Dave" as a technical question :eek: .

Just messin. My guess is, How do you know its the rearend howling when you get to the speeds of using overdrive. Could be this coincidence.

CMac89 said:
Wow!! That is the first time I have seen the "XR7 Dave" as a technical question :eek: .
Haha, very funny.

How do you know its the rearend howling when you get to the speeds of using overdrive. Could be this coincidence.[/QUOTE] Well, it is a wine just like rear end gears do but it's not the rear end. If you keep it in D it is quiet as a mouse. The car is bone stock so it doesn't have any other noises to disguise the source. It is really annoying at 55mph but it almost goes away at 70mph like I said above. If you are accelerating and it shifts into OD, you hear it imediately. Weird. Just one more excuse to do another 5spd swap I guess. *sigh*

Yeah, i'd say you should get an after market transmission for mustangs and have some kind of an adapter made for us to use instead of a Semi/Dump Truck transmission that takes a 130lb crank just to budge it (scarcasm).

I would look for bad bushings in the planetary assembly. That or just put 4r gears in and throw the aod junk away :)
Alan

Are the planetaries interchangeable between the two transmissions?

btw, just finished the AOD yesterday. So, now it's time to put it in the car along with the engine. ;)

Kurt K said:
I didn't know you were an AOD guy.

I wondered what Dave would do if he had a problem he couldn't solve. He seems to know these cars so well and could probably diagnose something in his sleep.

Mine whines in OD too, but I think it's the supercharger. :D

MikeKanterakis said:
Are the planetaries interchangeable between the two transmissions?

btw, just finished the AOD yesterday. So, now it's time to put it in the car along with the engine. ;)

Pretty much but you'll have to change some other parts as well.

Dirtyd0g said:
Pretty much but you'll have to change some other parts as well.

like the center support and that little shaft with the gears at the bottom that goes into the planetary? or is it more complicated than that? less?

MikeKanterakis said:
like the center support and that little shaft with the gears at the bottom that goes into the planetary? or is it more complicated than that? less?
I would have to have everything in front of me to shows you,but you can tell what doesn't work. I know you have to use the stamped steel direct drum and I think that center support, but it may be the same. I am actually thinking about using the 4r70w shafts in one to eliminate the direct drive shaft and run no lockup as a cheaper alternative to the 1 piece input shafts. I am not sure if the shaft will work or not.
Alan

ok, thanks. if it was a drop in mod, that would have been cool. But, I wasn't really looking forward to re-opening this thing again. well... at least not so soon.

So, anybody know why Dave's overdrive whines?

MarksM said:
I'd bet JW could give you an answer.
Of that I have no doubt. I may just ask him next time I see him. On another note, anybody want an AOD with a shift kit and an Art Carr heavy duty rebuild kit? Whines slightly in OD and shifts into drive at 15mph, but other than that it's great! :D

Back