Dunlop SP5000 symetrical or Asymetrical?

mr2nice42

Am a new SC owner and have searched for tires and decided on Dunlop Sport SP5000 225/60/16 for my 92. My question is, they offer symetrical & Asymetrical which one is preferred? Thanks,

I had the SP5000s a couple of years ago which were asymmetrical. They ran fine but only lasted about 25,000 miles. I went with an H rated Goodyear Eagle GT-HRs this time. :cool:

Asymentrical

AsScLoWn said:
"Sharper angles of the tread blocks"??????? Ok this is Sooooo far out in left field that I gotta raise the Bull Schit Flag. The URL then links to TireRack, who's main interest is selling you 4 new tires.

The purpose of an asymetrical tread pattern is to give you the most (outboard) contact patch when cornering. This is because when cornering, the outboard tires need to grip more than the inboard tire. One way to do that, is to make the outside of the tread pattern more like a racing slick. More (& possibly softer rubber) on the outboard side, means the tire will grip more.

An asymentrical tread design will normally (depending on Many variables) out perform a "street tire" when you get serious about going through corners.

All tire designs are a trade off, "This" for "That". It's up to YOU to decide which trade offs work in your favor.

If you want to go in a straight line, buy a tire designed for that. If you want to go around corners, buy a tire designed for that. If you (like my Dad) are ONLY concerned about getting 100,000 miles out of a set of tires, then only GOD can help you, in the rain, on dry roads, in corners, or braking!!!!!! It's up to YOU to decide which trade offs work in your favor.

68COUGAR

Back