Miss at top of 3rd

daivd z

When im racing or running the car hard it has been missing a couple times at the top of 3rd. around 4500 RPM. It doesnt do it in 1st or 2nd because its usually spinning all the way threw the gear so i end up shifting out of it, and i havent taken it to the top of 4th. I have a ported blower, exhaust, MP inlet and 5% with a new custom FMIC. I have stock fuel system on a 95 with auto lite double platnum plugs at .045. It also idles a little rough. Its steady but rough. Anybody know if its because of stock fuel or should i get better plugs?

daivd z said:
When im racing or running the car hard it has been missing a couple times at the top of 3rd. around 4500 RPM. It doesnt do it in 1st or 2nd because its usually spinning all the way threw the gear so i end up shifting out of it, and i havent taken it to the top of 4th. I have a ported blower, exhaust, MP inlet and 5% with a new custom FMIC. I have stock fuel system on a 95 with auto lite double platnum plugs at .045. It also idles a little rough. Its steady but rough. Anybody know if its because of stock fuel or should i get better plugs?

Mine did the same thing last year, and it turned out to be that the gas tank didn't have enough fuel in it and under acceleration the pump was sucking some air because the fuel was being pushed to the back of the tank. I took Kurt K's advice and instead of my usual 1/4 tank I added enough fuel to show a 1/2 tank on the gauge, and the problem went away.

If it's not the fuel level, I would suspect either a clogged fuel filter or a weak fuel pump.

David

Last edited:
I had the same problem with my car last year when I would spray it it would miss at the top of second and third gear. Turned out the stock gap was just too big. I closed up the plugs to about .030 and it runs like a champ. With the stuff you have done to increase the airflow you might need to close the gap some.

i think im going to buy the 255 pump kit from mn12 performance. I also only keep 1/4 tank of gas i will try to keep more now expecially when i get this pump. is it a good idea to get the regulator or just leave it alone?

I know what other people say about having problems with running on an empty tank. My experience is that I run it at the track with not only the low fuel light on but sometimes the check gauges light comes on because it's so low and have never had any kind of miss. Just some more info for you.

Back