Timing Chain INFO!

darkstar_one

Okay... im going to get the 3 piece timing set from AUTOZONE which includes the cam sprocket the crank sprocket and the chain itself... one question.... when i replace the seal... something about a sleeve? whats this about and should i replace it?

...only thing that comes to mind is there reffering to one of those repair sleeves for the seal journal on the harmonic balancer.

MIKE 38sc said:
...only thing that comes to mind is there reffering to one of those repair sleeves for the seal journal on the harmonic balancer.

What??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

A repair sleeve is a very thin metal sleeve that is pressed onto eithe the HB oil seal journal or the rear crankshaft seal journal. Those 2 journals get a groove worn into them from the seal lip riding on them for all those miles.
Failure to address the grooving will only result in oil leaks at the seal. A new seal cannot seal on those grooves.

If you were to smash the hub that slides into the timing cover on a stock balancer, you'd see what Mike is talking about. I went through the balancer dilemma last year.

Back