Head Gaskets

93blownsc

Anyone live in J-Ville, that can help with head gaskets, im kinda new to the SC and really do not want to pay 1500 dollars, and was wondering how to do it myself
:eek:

Well I'm too far to help, but I will say I did my own HG's and I'm no certified mechanic, though I do have a lot of tools and a place to do it.
If you do a lot of searching and read up on everything you can on doing the HG's, I think most people would be able to do this. Of course once you get all the junk off the top of the motor and the accesory brackets off, it really isn't that bad. The extra stuff on the motor is what makes it look harder than it really is. The hardest part is where to put all the parts once they are off, breaking loose the head bolts, and the dang exhaust manifold bolts that you will have to have some ratcheting box end wrenches on.
You will need a gasket kit and new bolts (Got mine from SCP), plus a few other items such as new IC Gaskets (TBird88 has them for $25 and are re-useable), 1/2" drive sockets/wrenches for the bolts, anti seize and thread sealer will be needed too. At the VERY LEAST have your heads checked for cracks and resurfaced by a machine shop.

Back