Squeaky bushings

seawalkersee

I read in the moostang magazine that if you shave and cut your poly bushings down on your lower controll arms that it eliminates the squeak. Has anyone done this? Both of my cars sound like grandmas bed springs and I would really like to get rid of that.

Chris

Poly Bushings and Squeeking?

http://www.polybushings.com/pages/bushinglube.html

The above URL is for poly bushing lube. Think of poly bushings as being more of a material that maintains distances between parts. Dampening and resistance is provided by dampers, springs and shocks. Rubber bushings however, do rely on their ability to grab a hold of what's twisting inside of them. When converting over to poly bushing, you are removing this effect upon the suspension. In return you get a more responsive suspension. But without the proper dampening and rebound by upgrading the shocks and springs, you end up with less dapening and more rebound then you had with the rubber bushings. Best to get adjustable shocks, and variable rate springs to compensate for the more responsive suspension component. Make sure there are adjustments for both dampening and rebound with the shocks.

I just use lots of silicone grease and, make sure you torque any bolts with the lower controls arms jacked-up to normal ride height (or put the wheels back on and torque-up with the car on ramps. This avoids bushing "wind-up" and lots of 'moans, groans & squeeking".

I did that with the wheels. I think they were still a bit twisted from having to hammer them in though. They are a tad thicker then the factory ones. I love the way it handles but I dont like the squeaks.

Chris

I didn't use the polly bushings for the upper control arms. I just got lifetime ones from autozone. I don't think the suspension is lacking. But, I've got ST springs, Koni shocks, and Poly Kit from MN12.

And? Is yours noisy as well? Both of my kits came from MN 12, (I think) or maybee supercoupeperformance.

I lubed the heck out of em and after a good season they squeak.

Chris

Sorry, I didn't clarify before. No, there is absolutely no noise from my suspension. I have had experience with another t-bird, that made a lot of noise over speed bumps, but that noise was comming from the fron sway-bar bushings.

Sqeeky poly bushings are normal thats why your supposed to grease the crap out of them. Then again the grease attracts dirt and grit like theres no tomarrow. Thats why I would never use poly bushings on a suspension pivot point myself. Track only car yes, street car NO. I've ridden in tooo many cars and trucks down through the years with poly bushings going sqeekity sqeek all the time to put myself through it. I like poly for some things but never pivot points.

I think I am gonna pull em out and trim them down. The good news is that the cars are sound proof. I would just really like them not to squeak....It sure handles well though....

Chris

Well be carefull, if you trim them down enough they dont touch the immoveable part of the pivot point(which is why there noisey) you kinda defeat the whole purpose of having them in the first place. The pivot point needs to be somewhat tight or else you'll get slop in it over a period of time.
Poly does wear in and settle after awhile, you might want to give it some time to do all of that before you whittling away at them.
Keep some silicone spray on them for awhile and see if that helps.

The ones on the white car are three years at least old. I think I just need to reset them (I put them on after this kid stole the car and wrecked it) so the suspension is not so sprung.

Chris

Back