Double IC Install

pablon2

I'm installing my double IC from SCP and noticed it doesn't have the clips at the bottom as the stock one did. Since these are missing, what keeps this in place? Do only the upper and lower IC tubes and their corresponding stabilizer bolts keep this thing in place? If so I'd think that the weight of the IC along with the load from the engine could stress the seal points. Any help is appreciated.

P.S. I am starting to develop a complex as I haven't gotten many responses on a few of my posts over the past couple weeks. :(

The stock IC pipes are what holds the IC. If you are still questionable towards it, then wiggle it after you tighten the bolts and see if you can budge it. Thats all that is holding my IC is the IC pipes.

The two bolts on the lower IC tube are what provide all the support. With the double IC you ditch the rubber bellows and may even need to cut a small amount of the upper bellows mounting bracket (attached to radiator) to provide clearance for the IC tank.

David

From the number of posts you've had the last several days, sounds like you are doing a lot of work to your car. What are the high performance upgrades you are making? ;)

My list of upgrades....

Upgrades are pretty much what everyone else is doing, short of engine work:

MPII Supercharger
MP Polished Intake Plenum
3/4" Raised SC top
85mm MP TB
76mm C&L MAF
SCP Polished Double IC
Perma Cool 8" 800 CFM IC fan
SCP 3.5" CAI Show Chrome
42lb fuel injectors
255lph Walbro fuel pump
180 deg thermostat
Ford racing oil breather/cap
5% overdrive SC pulley
2.5" downtubes
Kooks mid-length ceramic coated headers
SCP high flow cats
Flowmaster 2.25"/2.5"/2.25" Force II system with Delta 40 series mufflers

Drivetrain
Modifications: Art Carr Extreme AOD transmission
Art Carr 9.5" HD non-locking custom stall Torque Converter
Solid input shaft
Art Carr stacked plate tranny cooler
3.73:1 gears
SCP poly rear differential bushings
SCP poly transmission cross member bushings
Solid rubber transmission mount

NCredSC said:
From the number of posts you've had the last several days, sounds like you are doing a lot of work to your car. What are the high performance upgrades you are making? ;)

David Neibert said:
The two bolts on the lower IC tube are what provide all the support. With the double IC you ditch the rubber bellows and may even need to cut a small amount of the upper bellows mounting bracket (attached to radiator) to provide clearance for the IC tank.

David

You know, I bought a set of IC tubes off a friend last year & polished them. Not sure what year car they came off of, but the lower tube only has one bolt hole in it, vice two like my '95 has. The one under the P/S pump is there, but the other one isn't cast into the tube. Being that the other one is such a PITA to get at, I probably wouldn't have used it anyhow! I've heard that some people don't put either one back in when they install their IC. They just let the joints support it. When I put mine back together I definitely plan on using that bolt (stud) uder the pump for support.

What To Do????????????????

THE TOP I/C TUBE DOES NOT NEED TO HOLD THE WEIGHT :) ONLY THE BOTTOM ONE MUST STILL BE BOLTED TO THE MOTOR BRACKETS :eek:

On my drag racer I don't use any supporting bolts, just the 6 IC tube connection nuts and the collar nut and I've had no problems with sagging or leaks developing. While supporting the IC from below with my floor jack I just have to be sure that I line everything up properly before I snug all the nuts up.

I would keep at least one bolt in the lower IC tube. That's alot of weight to be bouncing around with only the tube flanges holding it.

David

Alternator pulley swap with double IC and fan?? Is there room?

Is there enough clearance to swap the OEM alternator pulley with the UD alternator pulley with a double IC and an 8" Perma Cool fan in place? I want to know if there is enough clearance for an electric impact wrench with a swivel on it. Has anyone done this? I am asking b/c I figured I may have to put the UD pulley on before installing the IC for fear of not having enough clearance to do it after I install the double IC with fan combo. But, if I installed the UD alternator pulley then I'd also have to install the water pump and crank pullies that came with the UD set. I wanted to wait until I got the car to the mechanic to replace the harmonic balancer and have the UD set put on at the same time. SO...my best option I see is to install the double IC with fan combo now and the use a swivel to swap the UD pulley later when I install the whole UD pulley set and harmonic balancer.

pablon2 said:
Is there enough clearance to swap the OEM alternator pulley with the UD alternator pulley with a double IC and an 8" Perma Cool fan in place? I want to know if there is enough clearance for an electric impact wrench with a swivel on it. Has anyone done this? I am asking b/c I figured I may have to put the UD pulley on before installing the IC for fear of not having enough clearance to do it after I install the double IC with fan combo. But, if I installed the UD alternator pulley then I'd also have to install the water pump and crank pullies that came with the UD set. I wanted to wait until I got the car to the mechanic to replace the harmonic balancer and have the UD set put on at the same time. SO...my best option I see is to install the double IC with fan combo now and the use a swivel to swap the UD pulley later when I install the whole UD pulley set and harmonic balancer.

It doesn't matter about the fan or dbl IC, even with the stock IC you will need to loosen the flange on the upper IC tube to change the alternator pulley. I had to grind about 1/16" off the side of the flange nearest the alt pulley to provide some extra clearance.

The impact with a swivel will work on either setup.

David

Back