brake light/antilock light

mlbuxbaum

Hey all,
when I push the brake in, the brake light (red) flashes and goes out, then the antilock light(yellow) flashes and goes out. I checked my fluid levels and it is up to the line that says fill line with full accumulator. I just changed the front brakes and am going to do the rears this week. Could this be a sign of something else wrong? I hate it when idiot lights come on and I don't know how to fix them.

i have the same going on here, except my anti lock stays on, and the brake light comes on when i press the brake pedal( not all the time though)any ideas, the car stops on a dime though :)

Thanks, Robert

mlbuxbaum said:
Hey all,
when I push the brake in, the brake light (red) flashes and goes out, then the antilock light(yellow) flashes and goes out. I checked my fluid levels and it is up to the line that says fill line with full accumulator. I just changed the front brakes and am going to do the rears this week. Could this be a sign of something else wrong? I hate it when idiot lights come on and I don't know how to fix them.

Wish I could help, but my '89 was destroyed before I could figure it out what the problem was. It could very well be a bad accumulator though. That's what I would consider first. Good luck.

Damien

You will need a new accumulator. The diaphragm in yours is probably leaking so when you push the brakes the lights come on to tell you the pressure drops below a specified point. In most normal driving you won't feel the difference as the pump will run and pump pressure up when you hit the brake. However in emergency situations if you slam the brakes there isn't enough pressure in the system and the pedal may go down soft for a few seconds before the pump can recharge the accumulator. What happens is you either rear end someone or have a VERY close encouter and your pedal feels dead for a few seconds and then it pops back up with pressure. I've had many close calls and one accident because of it. And if you wreck into another vehicle, its your fault for not having your vehicle in a safe operating condition. So don't think you can get out of a ticket by saying your brakes aren't working. Its your responsibility to keep your vehicle in proper operating condition. You can get a new accumulator from Prior Remanufacturing for about $100.00 plus shipping. Its easy to install and can be done in about 10 minutes with a simple allen head socket you can purchase at your local hardware store.

Visit www.priorreman.com to order one. Please do, it could be your own life you are saving. This is not a laughing matter.

Also if you let it go too long like this your brake pump could burn out due to the increased on/off cycling it has to go through to more frequently pump up the accumulator. I hate this brake system with a passion.

Last edited:
ok that will do away with the brake light coming on & off, what about the antilock light staying on??

Scott Long said:
You will need a new accumulator. The diaphragm in yours is probably leaking so when you push the brakes the lights come on to tell you the pressure drops below a specified point. In most normal driving you won't feel the difference as the pump will run and pump pressure up when you hit the brake. However in emergency situations if you slam the brakes there isn't enough pressure in the system and the pedal may go down soft for a few seconds before the pump can recharge the accumulator. What happens is you either rear end someone or have a VERY close encouter and your pedal feels dead for a few seconds and then it pops back up with pressure. I've had many close calls and one accident because of it. And if you wreck into another vehicle, its your fault for not having your vehicle in a safe operating condition. So don't think you can get out of a ticket by saying your brakes aren't working. Its your responsibility to keep your vehicle in proper operating condition. You can get a new accumulator from Prior Remanufacturing for about $100.00 plus shipping. Its easy to install and can be done in about 10 minutes with a simple allen head socket you can purchase at your local hardware store.

Visit www.priorreman.com to order one. Please do, it could be your own life you are saving. This is not a laughing matter.

Back