Cleaning the RADIATOR OVERFLOW TANK!

darkstar_one

anyone know how to restore the RADIATOR OVERFLOW TANK to its prestine almost clear condition... when it looks white? BLEACH or something thanx....

darkstar_one said:
anyone know how to restore the RADIATOR OVERFLOW TANK to its prestine almost clear condition... when it looks white? BLEACH or something thanx....
I have no idea, but if you figure it out, let us know. I did manage to purchase a new one from Ford several years ago along with a new washer reservoir--they were one of the last ones in the country. Ended up coming from 2 different dealerships. I've never installed them yet, since the rest of my engine compartment needs some work before I use the really nice parts.

I use LimeAway or white vinegar. Remove the reservoir while you are draining/flushing the cooling system and let it soak with the additive in. I also found that one of those engine brushes with a flexible handle works good for cleaning the inside surfaces once the additive has done it's job. To avoid those difficult deposits in the future, make sure you use distilled water to refill the system.

Crushed ice & a little lime away or vineger The crushed ice is a pretty good scrubber when you shake it around the inside of the tank.

I know this sounds strange-but have you tried Coke?? You need the original(classic) for it to work. Just seal up all the openings but one with duck tape, fill about 1/2 full with coke and a half cup of rough gravel, seal up the last hole and shake for 2 minutes at a time, total of 30 minutes.

You can use what ever cleaner works best on the outside-Simple Green seems to work well.

Makes sense. A penny in a can of coke will dissolve in a couple of days.

There is going to be a limit as to how clean you can get the tank though, as the plastic itself can be yellowed from UV and other exposures.

darkstar_one said:
What worked for me : (But, the yellowing plastic is near impossible to clear up completely)

For the inside:(experimented with these)
Solvents: carb. cleaner, simple green, castrol super clean, tide detergent

Tools: Some long thin bottle brushes, scraper for some black tar-like crud near top of tank, a cup full of BB pellets as an abrasive /with tank openings covered shook tank

Results:: Found the tide detergent(water added) with BB's as an abrasive worked best and smelled the nicest :) .
I thought of using a more abrasive media like a bunch of small screws. Decided not to use a rougher media thinking it would pit the inside plastic.

For the outside:
Solvents: simple green, tide detergent

Tools: scour pad, 220/400/800/1000/1200 grit wet-sand paper (sanded under running water) to remove surface yellowing

Results:: Both solvents worked equally as good. All total.. yellowing was diminished about 40%.
-
Haven't tried the soaking in 100% bleach. If some is left saturated in the tank plastic (even if it's thoroughly rinsed) I'm afraid it might cross contaminate to the coolant fuild. It might not but, I won't risk it.

Last edited:
Birdman93 said:
I know this sounds strange-but have you tried Coke?? You need the original(classic) for it to work. Just seal up all the openings but one with duck tape, fill about 1/2 full with coke and a half cup of rough gravel, seal up the last hole and shake for 2 minutes at a time, total of 30 minutes.

You can use what ever cleaner works best on the outside-Simple Green seems to work well.

coke... well maybe i did a couple of lines... but oh you mean the SODA POP.... ohhh okay i will try that... hmmm..... lol

darkstar_one said:
coke... well maybe i did a couple of lines... but oh you mean the SODA POP.... ohhh okay i will try that... hmmm..... lol

That would be one expensive cleaner........ :D

Back