Found cool 18x8.5 rim! Need advice on tire size, and fitment issues...

scbird94

Ok i know u guys probobly are sick of hearing this question, but searching the forums didnt answer my questions. I am SICK of seeing the 17x9 cobra rim, so i found these- Akuza Seige they are called, and CWM.com lists them as availaible for 89-97 tbird. I dont know if it is an error or not, ive never seen anybody run this rim so i dont know.
http://www.customwheelsmarket.com/a...a-siege-aka209-passenger-car-chrome-whee.html

My question is this- will this rim work with my eibachs without major fitment issues, and what is the largest front and rear tire sizes i can run... i dont want to go much taller than stock diameter, because i dont want to raise the ride height, but i like the wide look.

This forum has always treated me good, and i have faith for this time!

Dylan Roth
St. Cloud, MN

Dylan, the listing from the drop-down menu with the fitments shows them as fitting the 89 - 97 T-Bird with 5 on 108 mm pattern, but it doesn't specify the offset ... all it shows is 'HPO', which would mean 'high positive offset'. They also list them for fitting an 02 - 05 Bird, which is the same pattern, but needing more positive offset than the 89 - 97.

Before you place an order, I'd suggest contacting them to find out exactly what the offset is on them. My 18 x 8.5" wheels fit just about perfectly with +35 offset. Tire size I'm running is 255-45-18 all around, a bit taller than stock. I also have Eibach springs. I'm running Airlift bags in the rear springs, and have the rear fender lips trimmed and rolled a bit for clearance over large bumps, and when the car is fully loaded. Largest size I'd suggest for the rear, if you want to go with a staggered setup, is 275-40-18. With that size, I'd recommend 245-45-18 for the front, so the diameters match.

cheers
Ed N.

possible...

What is the maximum offset i can have? I really cant afford the air bags right now so do you think they will work without bags, if they it is say... .35 offset? i like the wide-*** tire in back, so yes, i will stagger the size.

Dylan Roth
St. Cloud, MN

I would think up to about 38 or 39 mm offset would be the most you could run without rubbing on the inside at the front. If you want to run the large rear tires, airbags are a must for keeping the fender lips off the tires. They're not that expensive, probably about $90 for the kit on your side of the border.

cheers
Ed N.

Do you think i could run a 255 without the bags? I am going to call them about the offset later this afternoon, so im hoping for the best!
Dylan

255 tires rubbed without bags on my car ... so if you want to give it a shot, be my guest. But you'll likely get into contact without them.

The way I see it, if you can afford $1200 - $1400, or whatever the wheel & tire combo is going to run, you should have an extra $100 available to do the bags as well. ;)

it just seems odd being i bought eibach's to drop it down 1.5 and now to get my wheel combo on i have to raise it up an inch...

you are totally right though, spending the $100 bucks doesent bother me at all, its just the ride height...

Also- Where do i get the bags, and how exactly do they work? is there a compressor unit, or is it a constant height?

You don't necessarily have to raise the car with the bags to keep the fenders off the tires. The bags set at about 10 psi simply keep the body from going through huge motions when you go over large dips in the road, or have the trunk loaded up with stuff. And with the bags up to about 30 psi, I can load mine up with 4 mounted wheels & tires, floor jack, tool box, spare parts, and a few days worth of clothing, etc. for when I go to instruct at an open-track event. An on-board compressor can be mounted, but the basic kit comes with lines that get filled by a regular tire pump at the gas station. I usually just keep 50 psi in a small air pig to pump them up at home if needed.

www.airliftcompany.com is the manufacturer's site. They should be available to purchase through most of the good automotive stores. We have different chain stores up here, so I can't recommend a specific one to you.

cheers
Ed N.

Last edited:
fast Ed N said:
You don't necessarily have to raise the car with the bags to keep the fenders off the tires. The bags set at about 10 psi simply keep the body from going through huge motions when you go over large dips in the road, or have the trunk loaded up with stuff. And with the bags up to about 30 psi, I can load mine up with 4 mounted wheels & tires, floor jack, tool box, spare parts, and a few days worth of clothing, etc. for when I go to instruct at an open-track event. An on-board compressor can be mounted, but the basic kit comes with lines that get filled by a regular tire pump at the gas station. I usually just keep 50 psi in a small air pig to pump them up at home if needed.

www.airliftcompany.com is the manufacturer's site. They should be available to purchase through most of the good automotive stores. We have different chain stores up here, so I can't recommend a specific one to you.

cheers
Ed N.

I was looking at those recently, and I've been wondering. I'd like to put airbags on my SC. Do those offer the ability to drop the car for show and raise it for driving? Like maybe an inch or two or are they purely for extra support?

The bags won't drop the car past it's present height ... they only supplement the steel coil springs, they do not replace them.

cheers
Ed N.

fast Ed N said:
The bags won't drop the car past it's present height ... they only supplement the steel coil springs, they do not replace them.

cheers
Ed N.

Hmm, so I guess I've got to start looking for a kit for that... Oh well.

Bob

dylan the cars starting to come together it sounds like. How did you like the Eibach drop in the car? I've been thinking of doing that myself. next year i'm gettin' rims for it. I want to race you come spring time. The only problem i have right now is the tires don't want to hook :D But it would be fun to see how close i am to a '94 5 speed. We'll have to meet up come spring time.

fast Ed N said:
255 tires rubbed without bags on my car ... so if you want to give it a shot, be my guest. But you'll likely get into contact without them.

The way I see it, if you can afford $1200 - $1400, or whatever the wheel & tire combo is going to run, you should have an extra $100 available to do the bags as well. ;)

Do 255s rub on most cars? I have 18x8 ADRs with a 38 offset and was going to run 255/45 on all four corners. Oh and I have ST springs.

Back