ABS Problems!!!(1990)

I'll try to help you out...

But first, I need to know a little more info. What kind of problem(s) are you having with the brakes?

One common problem is a DEAD pedal...This is a common result of a bad relay to the Accumulator pump..."Cheap/simple fix"...Or a bad Accumulator pump...

If ya can't hear the pump running as soon as you turn on the ign. key then as per above...

Just a shot in the dark...

Brad

LJGriggs said:
But first, I need to know a little more info. What kind of problem(s) are you having with the brakes?

The light comes on every now again. The brakes get really hard, car doesn't stop. I took it to the dealer and he said the ABS is leaking, and he can't find the part.

My brake pedal was stiff as a rock. I changed the relay and no luck. It turns out the pressure switch on my master cylinder went bad. So it didn't know that the accumulator had no pressure, so it never ran the pump to refill the accumulator. Now I have a leaking accumulator since if I hit the brakes hard you can hear it run the pump and the lights come on. Gotta get this fixed soon. I have the accumulator in MI and now I'm in VA. Go figure.

If they work normal for a while then just quit at random, you can bet it's the pressure switch. The reason is without the pressure switch functioning to control the on/off cycles off the pump, then the pump motor run until its thermal cutoff shuts it off for a while until the motor cools down. It is during this period the system will be depressurized and your pedal will be hard and you'll have no rear brakes.
Good luck.
PS You'll also want to replace the pump motor relay over in the passenger side firewall area of the engine compartment if you replace the pressure switch.

Last edited:
dmclilly said:
:( Please Please I need help! ABS problems. I can't find a mechanic!
I ran into this probblem like you are haveing on two diffrent sc's one 89 one 90, On both of them it was the ignition switch in the steering colum. Not the key switch. when the car is running move the key back and forth and see if your breaks start working. And if it is the ABS/master cylender I have a good one posted under the parts for sale section.

Back