PDA

View Full Version : Low oil pressure when coming to a stop!!

DirtySouthBird
02-14-2005, 04:31 PM
I started getting low oil pressure about 1mo. ago so I just recently bought the oil pump rebuilt kit at Oreily's for like $20 buks.. I replaced it and still the needle goes all the way down like when the car is off.. The check gauges light comes on and the car starts hessatating and will turn off if I dont put my fut on the gas. Now when I put my foot on the gas just a bit where the car stops hessatating the oil pressure goes up.. I've replaced my oil pressure sending unit and still does it... I did notice some oil on the intake next to the supercharger on the passenger side, think it coming from the valve covers but I dont think thats why its doing that.. Do you guys think it may have somthing to do with the egr valve? It only does this when I come to a stop like at the light other than that the car runs fine and it sure does run it pusshing over 15 psi cause the needle get burried at full throtle.. I do have my exhaust so that should help it out.. But Please help me out here..
thanks,
drty

Ken Seegers
02-14-2005, 05:52 PM
I take you are using the stock oil gauge. It is a dummy gauge. It turns on with 7.5psi of oil pressure. I would check the connection to make sure it is clean and tight. Also try picking up a mechancial oil pressure gauge that will tell you if you have oil pressure problems.
Good Luck
Ken

AsScLoWn
02-14-2005, 06:15 PM
... dont stop? :confused:, or eliminate the "coming" to a stop and apply the brakes full force

J57ltr
02-14-2005, 06:18 PM
remove the sending switch and install a pressure gauge to check that you have pressure. The switch must be grounded or it will not make propper connection.

Jeff

Zimpster
02-14-2005, 06:42 PM
I have had both of the problems you describe with my 94 lx. The hesitation problem I have had for a couple years now and seems to happen when the engine is warm, and only when its just started. Im not sure the cause of this problem....may be a vaporlock issue in the fuel system. The oil pressure problem you are having has exactly the same symptoms that my car did. I was worried about it...then one day it stopped!. I havn't had the problem since and have changed the oil. This, and your situation, makes me believe the sensor may be malfunctioning. Try replacing the sensor. Hope this helps.

discipled1
02-15-2005, 03:50 AM
If the engine is not running fast enough the oil pressure will be low. The PCM is what controls idle. It uses the IAC to allow bypass air past the throttle plate when it is closed. Check your manual and test the IAC. Take the IAC off and clean it so the piston seats good (blow into it and see if air gets past the piston). If air is getting past it when closed, and cleaning the carbon from it won't fix it, then replace it. This should fix the poor idle problem. Perform an idle relearn (start engine and with foot on brake, cycle from park, to neutral, to drive, and then back up one at a time, waiting for the idle to settle in for each). You may even hear the air/fuel mixture being adjusted as idle rises, then falls and you hear a stumble, and then stumble is gone. The time between the rise of RPM and fall to stumble, will decrease until you can't hear a change any longer. If you blip the throttle and idle hangs around 1000 rpms for a bit before returning to set idle, adjust the screw on the throttle body in until you get a smooth drop back to idle.

Zimpster
02-15-2005, 08:10 PM
Is this Idle Air Control valve you mensioned located on top of the throttle housing?...and should the valve be normally open (ignition off)?

J57ltr
02-15-2005, 08:46 PM
It's normally closed, and has a two wire connector on it. You need to check the pressure with a gauge first. That is the proper way to check. Yes a low idle lowers oil pressure, but You need to check the pressure FIRST.

Jeff