PDA

View Full Version : blown h/g, question about arp studs

Birdman91
02-14-2005, 05:35 PM
can the studs be put in with the motor in the car? how long would it last without arp studs and regular gaskets....

so far the two places we asked for labor prices both came up with 750... is it worth the trouble or would parting out the car be a better decision (it was previously bought for 2k)

im in a real bad bind, me and a buddy were going to trade cars and we did except for the whole title thing, i was driving the car (sc) and he was driving my tracer, the sc blew the gaskets and now i have to pay to get it fixed and hes going to pay for parts

TbirdSCFan
02-14-2005, 05:50 PM
can the studs be put in with the motor in the car? how long would it last without arp studs and regular gasketsYes. They're like head bolts w/o the head :rolleyes: Unless you're running higher boost with a restricted exhaust, or have some serious power mods on the engine, they will last as long as the originals. A stock motor should see 100,000+ miles.

so far the two places we asked for labor prices both came up with 750... is it worth the trouble or would parting out the car be a better decision (it was previously bought for 2k) I can't say if parting out vs repairing would be worth it for you or not. Based on how long it took me, 750 is a good price however for the work. However, I'm sure they probably wouldn't do the level of cleanup that I did.

V8Supercoupe
02-14-2005, 05:59 PM
For that price I would say it's worth fixing as long as everything else is good shape. Obviously you'll have to weigh all your options though.

Good Luck,
Skip

Jeremy_K
02-15-2005, 01:20 AM
it costed me around $500 to do my HGs myself. That's including ARP studs, milled the heads, and had a valve job done. The ARP studs are awesome. The gratification and the learning experience are worth the money. :D

Birdman91
02-16-2005, 01:36 AM
thanks for the replies, im going to try to find someone around town that can do it at their house for a cheaper price, if not then i guess ill just shell out the money and get it over with, i just hope everything works out ok in the end and nuthing else goes wrong, cuz i cant afford to fix much else, im having to use the money out of my life savings account, so it sux