Should I use Valvoline Max Life oil...

joenintiesc

...in my original engine with 175,000 miles? I'm getting an oil change today and figured if it's formulated for higher mileage cars what the heck! I was also going to substitute a quart of oil with that Lucas oil additive - or will this be overkill? Any thoughts?

Thanks

First, you should learn what type of oil has always been used in your car, or at least the last one used regularly. With a high mileage engine, changing oil could cause gaskets to leak from differences in the additives in the new oil; especially when switching from organic to synthetic oil. Try to use the one you always have. Second, I stay away from most types of engine additives. Many can actually cause more harm than good, especially an oil additive, in a quantity of one quart. If its not broken, it needs no solution.

Off the subject: if you feel the need to add something somewhere, try some 'water wetter' radiator additive, to increase cooling, or if you've done a lot of city driving, some name brand fuel injector cleaner.

Lucas

Lucas is perfect for your car, especially with that many miles on it, I run it in my car (115,000) and I honestly think that it even turns over easier in the morning. As far as MAX life goes, go ahead and use it, its not synthetic and it will swell the gaskets not make them leak, I use GTX high mileage and no problems.

I use Mobil One in my Sc with 120K on it. I got the car with 75K on it, and I have no idea what they used before, but I've yet to have any problems with it. I try to change it every 2500 miles, and I think I'm gonna try Royal Purple in my next oil change. I agree that it's a good idea to stick with the same oil that's been run in the car, but when you can't find out, maybe synthetic isn't the best choice. Just my opinion, and there are MANY opinions on what oil to run. I think as long as you change it often, and don't beat the crap out of the car, most motor oils (within reason) will be fine.
JS

i will use mobil 1 synthic its the best oil ure car can have..max life isnt synthitic..synthitic is better trust me

I have always had good results from using oil additives. At the very least it seems to "quiet" the engine down a bit. I used the Lucas stuff in place of a quart in my last oil change and my engine has never run better! Next time I will try that higher mileage oil - the longer I can keep the motor running nicely, the longer I can put off a rebuild!

No to synthetics

Synthetic oil is not the best thing since sliced bread that many people think. The only thing synthetic has going for it is in an extreme case, it will stand up to more heat than a conventional oil. It is good in many newer cars that call for viscositys such as 5w20 where the oil is very thin and will obviously get hotter, in this case it may even be called for in your owners manual. But, if you talk to anyone with a turbo that knows what they are doing you'll find that they'll say they only use castrol GTX-or some other "premium" conventional oil. Save your money.

I know it's hard to seperate the b.s. from the facts, but I'm always going to recommend a synthetic fluid over a conventional one.

I've worked in the trucking industry for many years. A person I worked with did a test in some transfer cases for 6x6 ReadyMix Concrete Trucks. 4 trucks invovled in the test, 2 with conventional lube, 2 with synthetic. After 2 years the transfercases were pulled apart for regular inspection and rebuild.

The 2 with conventional oil need bearings.
The 2 with synthetic looked like new.

In particular, it was also found that a shaft was not getting enough lubrication with the conventional fluid (manufacturing defect in the t-case design), yet the synthetic fluid was managing to lubricate this part in the other two units just fine.

These same types of experiences have been found in gasoline engines.

The down side to gasoline or diesel engine use of synthetics is you can't get the payback.

With synthetic in transfercases, transmissions, and axles in heavy trucks can extend drain intervals dramatically. Eaton transmissions with synthetic are rated for never needing a drain interval

But with engines you get combustion gasses and soot into the oil. A filter helps, but it can't remove it all. Eventually the concentration of these combustion byproducts will impact the health of your engine. Thus, while you should be able to extend 3k drain intervals out to 5 or 6 k, going beyond that is not recommended. And if you don't extend the drain intervals significantly, the cost is much higher for synthetic.

So if you are going to make sure you change your oil at 3k, then you really can use any oil.

Yet I prefer the little extra that synthetic gives me, and I'll pay the extra for it.

Back