Bird took a nosedive

1QuikV6

I had just gassed up ad was cruising down the interstate when i lost power and the car cut off. I tried many times to get it to start and a few times it almost restarted but finally just lost all hope as it simply kept cranking.

Im confident its the fuel pump even thought I havent investigated it since I had to work today. Anyone have a similar problem? It just abruptly died, no sputtering or backfire... just.... nothing. Fuel pump? Sending unit? I ordered a new one (just replaced it LAST WEEKEND) so Im doing the same twice in a weeks time. Im guessing Car Quest screwed me over with a faulty pump or sending unit. And so now I have to drop a tank holding about 18 gallons of good ol' 93 octane.

I have a gentleman coming to drive it back to Ohio and I want it to be perfect when he picks it up Saturday. I want to do it right and make sure he has a roadworthy Bird to take home. Thanks guys.

Balancer?

Hope it wasn't the balancer taking out your crank sensor.
That is known to happen very often.
Good luck.
Bill

Well its like when I was on the side of the road and id let it sit for a minute it would start and idle really rough then die. Im pretty confident its running out of fuel but I know that anyone who has owned one of these cars knows that these cars have little gremlins running in them and that any symptom can be from 900 different parts... Why OH WHY cant we go back to twin carbs, high lift cams, and big cube engines like the old days... Big HP and easy maintenance and troubleshooting... damn the Japs hahaha

lol... Well ask a BMW or MB owner and Im sure they'll tell you they spend their first years in and out of the dealer...

As much as I hate to suggest this, I would take the car to a certified mechanic and let him toubleshoot the problem...IF they find the fuel pump is faulty, contact CarQuest and advise them of the added expense you have incurred from their faulty part. Have the mechanic verify everything in a work order with company letterhead and demand Car Quest pay for the added expense. I know it might take longer, but it would also give you peace of mind to know exactly what was causing this problem...

Check that the crankshaft pulley is still attached and that it doesn't wobble when cranking or running.

Then get a fuel pressure gauge from the auto parts store and hook it to the fuel rail to check pressure.

I hate to say it, but to me - it sounds like the harmonic balancer went to crap. When it went out on the 94, the car was running really good and then out of no where - it just fell on it's face.

I'm with Mike on this one - check the crank pulley when cranking and/or running.

-Andy "Melon"

Someone also suggested a fuel pump relay. I noticed that I cant hear the fuel pump when turning the car to the ON position... So Im gonna pop in a new relay and start with the obvious. I will take a look at the harmonic also when i go to see the car tomorrow. Damn this car... it runs fine until I go to sell it... It just doesnt want to leave... :-/

Back