I blew my Headgaskets today....

CMac89

Man how lucky can you get. I guess those 3 dyno runs were about it for the 152,000 mile beast.

So i sucked it up and said, "damn." I then pulled it into the garage and gave it hell tearing it apart. All i have to do is take the head bolts out on the passenger side and pull it off. I'm making good progress. Tomorrow i will probably have it all torn down and then all I have to do is wait for the head studs and gaskets come in.

I wonder if i could have made more power on the dyno if the head gaskets werent going out, because it was smoking on the dyno and lost a good amount of coolant.

power secret... antifreeze makes HP ..use to leak it into my sled for grass drags ...till I got caught..filling the rad after every run ...your's seemed to be a freak with your mods ..to the point I didn't really believe the numbers ..
now I see why..you would likely pull lower numbers ..with sealed heads...dave

I would have the heads reworked while they are off. You should be able to get a decent 3 angle valve job including new valve stem seals, pressure test and the decks resurfaced for under $200.

David

MercsSC said:
power secret... antifreeze makes HP ..use to leak it into my sled for grass drags ...till I got caught..filling the rad after every run ...your's seemed to be a freak with your mods ..to the point I didn't really believe the numbers ..
now I see why..you would likely pull lower numbers ..with sealed heads...dave
I dont really see how this can be. It was smoking underneath the hood, really not much from the tailpipes. It was coming from the back passenger side cylinder.

If you burn coolant or oil it discharges the fuel and makes it a colder explosion. Therefore making the run richer and less efficient. Coolant isnt a volatile substance and it doesnt have any way of increasing the power of the combustion.

Ever since i got these mods on this car its had power. It would run 13's with the mods i have on it before i blew the headgaskets. It actually started feeling slower than anything else because the clutch wasnt slipping near as bad anymore.

By the way, is there a way i can get torque specs for headbolts (ARP studs) and rockers. Thanks

Dave, the previous owner said he did the headgaskets 10,000 miles ago and had the heads machined and valve conditioned. If he did do the headgaskets so shortly ago, then i am suspecting that he used the stock bolts, because they are not ARP's at all and he knew a good portion about SC's.

Back